Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

how detailed will the ho usra 2-8-2 be?

Started by sedfred, March 31, 2015, 01:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaltoOhioRRfan

Quote from: rogertra on April 06, 2015, 09:20:02 PM
Quote from: BaltoOhioRRfan on April 06, 2015, 08:43:29 PM
The 2-6-0 model appears to be missing eather ladders or a pilot deck. Fix that it would be a nice model.

Adding the missing pilot deck and whistle, yes, it doesn't have a whistle and a better looking headlight is quite simple, I've done it on my two.  What it also needs is boiler bands.

This photo shows engine before the whistle was added to the fireman's side of the steam dome and I've yet to add boiler bands.

While the 2-6-0 is a good running loco, it's these missing and or poor details on locos like the 2-6-0 that have me worried over why the 2-8-2 will not be to Spectrum "quality".

Cheers

Roger T.

B&O 2-6-0s didnt have boiler bands so that detail doesnt bother me, but regardless it lacks detail.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

rogertra

Quote from: BaltoOhioRRfan on April 06, 2015, 10:01:13 PM

B&O 2-6-0s didnt have boiler bands so that detail doesnt bother me, but regardless it lacks detail.

Are you 100% sure?  How was the boiler cladding held in place?  Boiler cladding was made of something like 1/8th" rolled steel, in about four foot wide panels.  Every steam loco I know has about three inch wide boiler bands that hold the cladding in place against the asbestos lagging, the boiler bands are secured with tension bolts underneath the boiler.

Not saying you are wrong, it just doesn't sound plausible.  Perhaps they had another way of securing the boiler cladding?

Cheers

Roger T.

BaltoOhioRRfan

Looking at the book, out of the two photos, one has a single band the other does not. The one that does not could be the angle, will do further research. But both eather have a ladder or pilot deck, its not open space
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

West Bound

Mr Bachman thanks for your response.
Roger, from photos, cladding appears to be lap joints fastened with bolts or rivets.
-John West

ebtnut

Yardmaster - Thanks for the pics of the pre-production sample.  Looks like the cab is as it should be.  Looking forward to delivery later this year.

jonathan

Indeed, thank you, Yardmaster, for sharing the great pre-production photo.  Makes me even more excited for the final product!

Regards,

Jonathan

electrical whiz kid

My thoughts to all here about the aforesaid complaints about product lacking this or that.  So, get on line, to the shows, etc.; and buy the parts you desire and install them.  None of this is rocket science.  Historically, there has been a line of good modellers that have deserved the title "master" model builder.  These people are a inspiration for all to get involved in the creative aspect of this hobby-this is what separates the "men from the toys".  Speaking just for myself; Never would I let some petty thing stop me from aspiring to the level of my own expectations.  I hope my feelings are shared by many.
SGT C.

rogertra

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on April 07, 2015, 01:24:20 PM
My thoughts to all here about the aforesaid complaints about product lacking this or that.  So, get on line, to the shows, etc.; and buy the parts you desire and install them.  None of this is rocket science.  Historically, there has been a line of good modellers that have deserved the title "master" model builder.  These people are a inspiration for all to get involved in the creative aspect of this hobby-this is what separates the "men from the toys".  Speaking just for myself; Never would I let some petty thing stop me from aspiring to the level of my own expectations.  I hope my feelings are shared by many.
SGT C.

I agree but there are some things all steam models at least should come with.  The missing pilot deck and whistle on the Alco 2-6-0 for example.  What steam loco, anywhere in the world, doesn't have a whistle? Yet, to it's credit, it does have rudimentary brake detail and coupler lift bars and foot boards on the rear of the tender but why no classification lights, mandatory on North American locomotives and no boiler bands, which 99+% of steam locos have?

And I notice our other thread discussing Spectrum and Standard ranges as been deleted.  :( 

Cheers

Roger T.

electrical whiz kid

Roger and other interested parties;
There could be a number if mitigating factors that dictated Bachmann's decision to omit this detail; obviously, I m not privy to those decisions.  I will, however, keep my opinions.  I think that modellers-especially steam fans, should have some knowledge of what goes where and why.  Ability, usually coupled with desire, is a learned thing.  Talent is likewise.  To my liking, there are a lot of parts that have been better produced available by others.  One has only but to go on line.
There are a lot of thoughts-opinions-on this subject.  These are only mine.  As aforementioned, I take a relatively independent approach.  This means I am unfettered by industry's parameters and will pursue objectives on my own terms-not anyone else's.
SGT C.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

The 2-8-2 is looking good. I hope that the USRA Heavy version will eventually be made as well since the Heavy version would be able to use the same chassis, wheels and tenders as the Light version and would only need a new boiler shell.

J3a-614

Quote from: rogertra on April 05, 2015, 03:19:11 PM

To me, this seems to be a return to the Bachmann of pre-Spectrum days.

If the Spectrum line goes, I for one will be one of those that will look elsewhere for steam power.  It was the Spectrum line 2-8-0 that convinced me to go back to modelling 1958 and it was the Spectrum line that forced the other rtr steam manufacturers to raise their standards.  I was looking forward to a Spectrum standard 2-8-2, not another run of the mill rtr steam loco, that's regressive.  I have several of each of the non articulated Spectrum models with the exception of the 2-8-4, only two ever used in Canada and the 2-10-2 because of the odd ball Southern valve gear.  Why they chose that over Baker gear I'll never know.  :)  

Bachmann regressing back to toy train standards will be a major loss to the steam modeller.

Cheers

Roger T.

Oh, I don't know if it would be that bad.  Our new 2-8-2 is looking quite good on the detail front, the proportions look OK, and a BIG change from the old days was and remains the mechanicals (I remember well all the troubles with pancake motors, spur gears, and wheels that wouldn't stay on axles).  How many of us remember when the best equipment was by Bowser, you had to build it yourself, and there was all the tuning that went into it, plus having to paint it?  I can remember when the ONLY way to get a decent paint and lettering job was with Floquil and Champ or Walthers decals (and actually, I miss all of those).

Actually, Roger and Jonathan, and others, have shown what you can do with Bachmann's current offerings, and it's great!

As to Canadian National USRA light 2-10-2s with Southern valve gear--well, they had them!  It was not a large class--only 10 locomotives, built by Alco in 1919 for Boston & Albany (NYC subsidiary company), purchased second-hand in 1928, and renumbered to 4200-4209 in class T-3-a.

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/santafe/?page=cnr

Here's a magnificent right side color shot of 4203, apparently just out of the back shop:

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/santafe/cnr4203-garceau.jpg

A small left side shot of 4200 is in this link, though you have to go way down the page to find it:

http://yourrailwaypictures.com/CNRsteamengines/

http://yourrailwaypictures.com/CNRsteamengines/CNR4200-b-fb14.JPG

Mechanically it looks like the only real change was adding an Elesco feedwater heater and the appropriate plumbing and pumps.  Cosmetically, it looks like the biggest changes would  be a vestibule cab, a different pilot, the feedwater heater, a different headlight, and maybe a different smokebox front.

Might be an interesting redetailing job!

Oh, from that CN Steam page, I just had to include this newspaper cartoon, which looks at us steam fans in the excursion era of 1962:

http://yourrailwaypictures.com/CNRsteamengines/5107_Montreal_Starbut.jpg

rogertra

Quote from: J3a-614 on April 11, 2015, 08:27:08 PM

As to Canadian National USRA light 2-10-2s with Southern valve gear--well, they had them!  It was not a large class--only 10 locomotives, built by Alco in 1919 for Boston & Albany (NYC subsidiary company), purchased second-hand in 1928, and renumbered to 4200-4209 in class T-3-a.

Yes and no.  Yes, the 10 members of the T-3-a class number 4200 - 4209 were purchased in 1928 from the B&A and were shopped by the CNR being equipped with Elesco feedwater heaters and all weather cabs and with their tenders modified to match the all weather cab.  However, they were not equipped with Southern valve gear but with Baker valve gear.

Cheers

Roger T.

Jerrys HO

I bet if Bachmann produced a steam engine with ALL the details, bells and whistles that most of you on here posting on that kind of stuff will still find something to pick at.
Like the old saying goes " if you want something done right, do it yourself".  ;D

Bucksco

Quote from: Jerrys HO on April 12, 2015, 08:33:10 AM
I bet if Bachmann produced a steam engine with ALL the details, bells and whistles that most of you on here posting on that kind of stuff will still find something to pick at.
Like the old saying goes " if you want something done right, do it yourself".  ;D

I believe you just broke the code Jerry.... ;)

rogertra

Quote from: Yardmaster on April 12, 2015, 10:37:51 AM
Quote from: Jerrys HO on April 12, 2015, 08:33:10 AM

I believe you just broke the code Jerry.... ;)

Yabut I still add details and kitbash even the finest Bachmann engines, and I have multiple samples of every one of them except the 2-10-2, which I wish I did and the 2-8-4 and any of the articulateds as they didn't run in Canada.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a major fan of the Spectrum Range and because of that,  I'll fight any dumbing down of the Spectrum Range or new steam introductions, like the 2-8-2, that's proposed.  Spectrum are the main source of my steam motive power.  I'm a big, big fan.

Cheers

Roger T.