News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dear Bach Man

Started by newguy, November 02, 2007, 12:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newguy

Dear Bach Man,

I have the EZ Command controller and several Bachmann DCC locos and a few Bachmann DC locos.

When I am using the EZ command and I have a DC loco on the track, it is as if the DC loco is receiving too much power. The lights on the locos are very bright and the motors are loud and it sounds like they will burn out at any moment and they are just sitting still. 

It worries me, I just don't want to ruin my analog locos. Is this normal? I know the instructions say that the EZ command my damage older analog locomotives buy mine are new, one of which is a Spectrum DCC ready 4-8-2 light mountain.

Thanks for your help and advice,

New guy

Stephen D. Richards

newguy123
          it sounds like every thing is fine.  The DC locos will make a constant noise while setting still and the lights will be on bright the entire time they are on the track and power is on.  That's normal.  If you have a locomotive that is older than 15 or so years you might have some concern.  Just don't leave them setting on the powered track setting still for long periods of time.  That's pretty simplified but I use it as a rule of thumb.  I've only been in the hobby a couple of years and this was one of my first questions also!  Hope that helps a bit.    Stephen

Virginian

DCC is a form of alternating current.  The polarity switching back and forth makes the DC motor buzz.  My opinion is that can not be good for anything, and I would take them off the track, or kill the power to the section where they are sitting.  Old and/or new DC locomotives work EXACTLY the same way they have for 40 years.
"What could have happened... did."

SteamGene

I would not let a DC loco sit on DCC powered track without out moving for more than a couple of minutes.  If you park it, park it on a siding or yard track where you can kill the power. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"