News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Switches

Started by philws, April 07, 2015, 05:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philws

When you are trying to make your switch wires long does it make a differce what wires are hook together,  I just cut all my wires.

rogertra

Quote from: philws on April 07, 2015, 05:14:19 PM
When you are trying to make your switch wires long does it make a differce what wires are hook together,  I just cut all my wires.

What do you mean?  More explanation is required.  Of course it makes a difference what wires are connected, it's electricity.  What do you mean by "I just cut all my wires"?  What wires? 

Cheers.

Roger T.

Jerrys HO

Quote from: philws on April 07, 2015, 05:14:19 PM
When you are trying to make your switch wires long does it make a differce what wires are hook together,  I just cut all my wires.

If your talking about the green 3 wire lead then yes, the center wire power for the solenoid stays in the center the two outsides control direction of the points, temporarily hook them up if they go opposite of the switch direction just swap them around. Just make sure the center wire stays in the center.

jbrock27

If Jerry is correct in understanding what you are talking about Phillip and I have no reason to doubt that he is, then perhaps this can be a learning opportunity, aside from giving a lesson in trying to ask questions in a clear, understandable manner.

Do you know what function those wires are performing going into and coming out of the switch controller?  (Yes, besides conducting electricity.)
Keep Calm and Carry On

philws

Thanks,Jerry  You answered my question completely thank you.

jbrock27

I take it then, you don't wish to know?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

Quote from: jbrock27 on April 08, 2015, 07:01:05 PM
I take it then, you don't wish to know?

Jim, in my post I tell what they are for is that what you are wanting phil to know? if not tell me as I want to know what else they do.  ???

jbrock27

I was going to expand a little bit on what you had said.  But not if he does not care to increase his knowledge.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

Quote from: jbrock27 on April 08, 2015, 07:33:22 PM
I was going to expand a little bit on what you had said.  But not if he does not care to increase his knowledge.

EXPAND! EXPAND! I care.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

philws

Yes, I like to know more about it.Please tell us.

jbrock27

From the left side of the slide switch, of the wires coming in from the power source, 1 wire is the "hot", the other is the "common" or "return".  Of the 3 wires that go out from the slide switch to the switch machine, the middle wire is the "common" or the "return" and the wires to either side are "hots" and provide momentary power when the slide button is pushed down to either of their  respective sides. This momentary power is what moves the points to one side or the other.
Knowing how this works, gives you the ability, should you ever have to, of replacing the slide switch with any other brand's, switch controller. 
Keep Calm and Carry On