News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sharing Projects

Started by jonathan, April 26, 2015, 06:47:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

electrical whiz kid

Roger;
As a child I grew up around the Boston area, and of course the New Haven and the Boston and Maine.  The many facets of city type railroading was directly available to me.  Of course, at that age, Ted Williams etc.; were of much more interest. 
When I got out of the service, I settled in Connecticut.  For some reason, my work always seemed to take me into New Haven, and the fabled West End.  I guess I was lucky enough to have seen it all-steam, diesel, electric; car-floats, ship to rail transfer, TOFC (some of the first in the country)-so again, I consider myself pretty fortunate.
With the exception of the Oahu-or the Alaska Railway, I don't think there is a road name I haven't seen on the property at one time or another.  It has been an interesting trip.
SGT C.

rogertra

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on April 30, 2015, 07:47:31 PM
Roger;
As a child I grew up around the Boston area, and of course the New Haven and the Boston and Maine.  The many facets of city type railroading was directly available to me.  Of course, at that age, Ted Williams etc.; were of much more interest. 
When I got out of the service, I settled in Connecticut.  For some reason, my work always seemed to take me into New Haven, and the fabled West End.  I guess I was lucky enough to have seen it all-steam, diesel, electric; car-floats, ship to rail transfer, TOFC (some of the first in the country)-so again, I consider myself pretty fortunate.
With the exception of the Oahu-or the Alaska Railway, I don't think there is a road name I haven't seen on the property at one time or another.  It has been an interesting trip.
SGT C.

SGT C

Beat you.  :)

From 1981 to 1984 or so I lived in Prince Rupert BC, the southern end of the barge route to Alaska.  I have seen not only Alaska rolling stock but locos in transit and, once, a complete passenger train being loaded onto the ferry.  No passengers but all the cars for a passenger train.  Somewhere, I have slides.

Cheers

Roger T.

electrical whiz kid

Roger;
Not really sure if any "Alaska Railway" cars ever made it this far east-I am certain there is a possibility if there was a reason to ship freight by rail this far.  I would have liked to have seen the "White Pass and Yukon" also.  I was assigned to Wheeler AFB in '65 and found three-foot rail imbedded in the runway apron there.  I was surprised until I had a chat with the motor pool dispatcher "Smitty".  He lived there since the thirties and filled me in on a lot of stuff.  When I was there, there was a rather diminutive 2-6-0 (?) permanently spotted in Haliewa there on the north Shore, just below Waimea Bay; and I do mean diminutive!
Smitty showed me some photos of the little "Pineapple Railroad" there-including a shot of the engine crossing the apron at Wheeler; amid some P-38s..   You know, actually those photos re-fired my engine and thus my enthusiasm for the hobby, which had preciously been snuffed out by girls, cars, and guitars...
There is still a 3-foot gauge railroad on the "Big island".  I don't know much about it.  A lot of that stuff is pretty elusive, albiet interesting, after you dig it out.  Heck, Smitty still had a '38 Ford pick-up with 20MM holes from when the Japs strafed Wahiewa on 7 Dec, 1941...
SGT C.