News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

best track cleaner?

Started by sonnyw, May 06, 2015, 10:15:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonnyw

ok i know this is gona open up a can of worms but here goes anyway,i have tried many track cleaners with ho hum effects . from the abrasive type to the alcohol on the pad type .i have tried rail zip and it seemed to work for a while but then i tried rubbing alcohol and it seemed to work for a while. i know that the abrasive kind will eventually pit the rails so i try to stay away from those unless i have a lot of crud on the tracks. the masonite pad might work,i havent tried it yet. im beginning to think radio control is the way to go but i have too much invested in dcc equipment.

my wife says if i buy one more engine she will leave me.................gee after 48 years ill miss her!!!!!!!! :-\

jbrock27

Wahl Clipper oil, applied with a cosmetic Q-tip.
Track cleaning block that is not so abrasive, like the kind made by Perfect.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jonathan

Many opinions and many methods... Here's what I do...

Bright boy for areas where I am working on scenery...

Dry cloth along the railheads while running trains... I pick a different area each time I operate.

A couple drops of conductalube on the railheads... once in a great while, while running trains.

Alcohol on a soft cloth, every now and then...

Religiously, twice a year, I clean all wheels and drivers on all rolling stock and locomotives.  A little cleaning agent on a paper towel or used dryer sheet works wonders for smooth running trains.

I have tried, and never liked those rail cleaning cars.  There's my two cents.

Regards,

Jonathan

James in FL

Hi sonnyw,

I don't know what's best in your situation, I've tried most everything.
Most of us do.
I prefer to dissolve something off the railhead, rather than scrape it off, if it's possible.
If you have traction tired lokies, consider the effects the petroleum based oil products may have on them.
Likewise, consider what effect a water based cleaner has on the rail and if you don't solder joiners, that water will get down and in between the joiners and the rail and be very slow to evaporate.
I didn't like the cause and effect of either of those two options.
I don't like pads on the bottoms of cars or cleaning cars in general, although I have many.
I'll run a vacuum car when I'm feeling lazy.

YMMV

What I've settled on is just basic 91° isopropyl alcohol.
It's what I like, so it's the best for me.
Have you checked the wheels on all your rolling stock?
If not, you're rowing against the current.

Good luck

sonnyw

thanks everyone for your interest. i have settled on using the alcohol. years ago i use to use it but got away from it. the abrasive blocks i use very sparingly from walthers. ive tried the oil route but have found out its not to good for traction tires and after awhile after usin the oil i decided to use alcohol and their was a lot of residue from the oil on the tracks. now this is just my opinion. i have been a model railroader for 47 years and i still love it. s.w.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On