Benefits of Bachmann e-z track (nickel silver) over power-loc track (steel).

Started by loco_guy, April 06, 2015, 04:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loco_guy

Can anyone convince me to tear up all of my power loc track and replace it with Bachmann e-z track.

I'm not sure I want to spend all that time replacing the old track but I wondered if anyone had any insight into the pros/cons of doing so.

I know that the nickel silver will not corrode like steel track - but what other benefits are there?

P.S. I run a DCC layout.

Hunt

Joe Satnik

LG,

The choice of around 58 different track pieces vs. 10 for the LL steel.

Reference: AnyRail.com HO track libraries. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Hunt

Want to use Bachmann track pieces that Power-Loc does not offer - add some Life-Like Power-Link Adapter pieces.

Click Here

Be sure to shop for best price.

jbrock27

No reason to replace track you have unless you do not like it.

...or unless it happens to be steel and is corroding and or rusting and generally creating a pain in the a$$ being able to keep the locos running on it.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

the best reason to replace lower lock track with ANYTHING lies in the way the connections are made between the sections. power lock sections slide together side to side, without the use of rail joiners to keep things aligned. everybody else's track relies on rail joiners in addition to connections in the roadbed itself (if the track has roadbed. there is a good reason for this. rail joiners help prevent misaligned joints which cause derailments. it doesn't take much of a misalignment before your trains come off the rails. track sections can become damaged  if they are set up and taken down. the ends of the rails can become slightly bent. without rail joiners to force them back into alignment, power lock track is a problem waiting to happen.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jhanecker2

If you have that much of an issue with humidity ,  I would also be concerned  about the effects  on the electrical & electronic equipment .  High humidity also puts  structural lumber & scenic materials in harms  way.  John2.

WoundedBear

Quote from: Bmannguy on April 15, 2015, 04:14:01 PM
Bachmann nickle silver track is the cadillac .The steel rail power lock is prone to dirt buildup witvh requires morr maintance and is not as good of a electrical conductor as the steel rail yugo

You want to take another try at that? ::)

Sid

richardl

NS track has more resistance than steel but that is really not an issue. Corrosion resistance of NS is most important.

If you get bored, Google nickel silver steel track resistance. All kinds of facts and opinions.
Some of the links will bring you back to the Bachmann forums.

You probably don't need it but Bachmann  sells NS 36" flex track.

Rich

electrical whiz kid

There is no "Silver" in Nickel silver, oh by the way.   There is less resistance in brass rail.  Steel is a poor choice for several reasons-but it is your money...
SGT C.

Jhanecker2

I seem to remember that Power Lock track is also manufactured in Nickel Silver . John2.