News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Decoder for Bachmann GP40

Started by HODenew, May 02, 2015, 03:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HODenew

I have a Bachmann GP40 #63501. It has a factory installed 8-pin plug and want to make it DCC.

I know Bachmann makes a decoder: Model 44915.

I also saw a MRC decoder item # 1834, that seems to take up less space.

Is it best to stay Bachmann to Bachmann or is there some advantage to the smaller MRC decoder?

HODenew

jward

if your locomotive has an 8 pin plug, any decoder with that plug should work.  dcc is standardized so that any system should be able to control any decoder.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rogertra

Quote from: jward on May 02, 2015, 05:50:40 PM
if your locomotive has an 8 pin plug, any decoder with that plug should work.  dcc is standardized so that any system should be able to control any decoder.

However, some systems have far more features than others.  The Bachmann sound decoders that come with their locomotives are simplified version while others, and more expensive ones, have many more features.  I don't believe Bachmann sell their sound decoders separately.

Me?  I'm happy with the Bachmann decoders and I go for the cheaper after market decoders as all I'm really interested in a the chuff and prime movers sounds, Alco or EMD/GMD, bell, horn/whistle and head light and back up light control.  The other features are, for me, just gimmicks but, of course, YMMV.

Cheers

Roger T. 

jward

roger,
the decoders the original poster referred to are both non-sound.
the Bachmann decoder comes with the electrical components shrink wrapped which I would consider a plus. but there is no mention of whether it supports cv5 (max voltage/ top speed) which the decoders in many of the dcc on board locomotives do not support. that would be an advantage for the mrc decoder, which does support cvs 5 and 6. I personally have used neither decoder, but the ones I would use all both are shrink wrapped and support cvs 5 and 6. I would suggest that before the op buys the Bachmann decoder, he get some clarification as to what features, exactly, are supported. my suggestion is at a minimum to go with fully adjustable top speed and acceleration/deceleration.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rogertra

Quote from: jward on May 02, 2015, 07:27:09 PM
roger,
the decoders the original poster referred to are both non-sound.
the Bachmann decoder comes with the electrical components shrink wrapped which I would consider a plus. but there is no mention of whether it supports cv5 (max voltage/ top speed) which the decoders in many of the dcc on board locomotives do not support. that would be an advantage for the mrc decoder, which does support cvs 5 and 6. I personally have used neither decoder, but the ones I would use all both are shrink wrapped and support cvs 5 and 6. I would suggest that before the op buys the Bachmann decoder, he get some clarification as to what features, exactly, are supported. my suggestion is at a minimum to go with fully adjustable top speed and acceleration/deceleration.

Good advice.

Cheers

Roger T.

Jerrys HO

If your loco has the 8 pin plug I found the Digitrax DZ126PS decoder to work well. It features BEMF, 3 speed step tables.
http://www.digitrax.com/products/mobile-decoders/dz126ps/
If you have the board style then the NCE one is the way to go...
https://ncedcc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200945019-BACH-DSL

Bachmann mobile decoders are great too but I like the BEMF for going up and down grades. Set the throttle and it will pull the grade without having to adjust the throttle and also relieves the jerkyness when coming down the grade.

I thought the GP 40's had the board style, I know both of mine do but they are a couple years older.