News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

derailment of my N & W 4-8-4 Spectrum

Started by Chesticus, November 18, 2007, 11:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chesticus

My Wife bought me the Rail Fan version of the N & W 4-8-4 Spectrum. It has DCC and Sound, but I have had some problems running it. The Front guide wheels seem to be coming off of the track. It is not the radius of the track as it seems to happen in moderate turns even in the easements going into the turn. Is there something I should do? Or should I pack it up and send the engine in?

I have checked the gauge with my toll. I am using flex track, and I am not having any problems with my other engines. Any suggestions would be great please.

Chesticus

Jim Banner

Try lifting the locomotive slightly so that the drive wheels are just clear of the rails.  Then see if the pilot wheels are still touching.  This is a quick test to see if there is enough vertical play in the pony truck.

Sometimes 4 wheel pony trucks just come off.  I have three identical Hudsons (not by Bachmann) and one of them insisted on derailing the pony truck.  It had lots of vertical freedom, moved easily from side to side, was in gauge, and was not twisted.  I came close to creating the CN's only Berkshire but a small piece of lead glued on top of the truck saved the day.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Chesticus

It seems to have vertical play. You said you added weight to the truck. Is this something I should try?

Chesticus

jondrd

Chesticus,
   I second Jim's suggestion. I had an instance where pony truck would foul a straight section of a switch on a downgrade. Switch and truck checked out as in gauge. This was the only place on the layout where it would foul itself. There are enough other opportunities on my layout where it could justifiably have also fouled itself but didn't. After fiddling and fiddling I decided to add a bit of weight to the truck and bingo problem solved.
   It's a simple fix and if everything else on the loco is OK, why send it off and wait for its return? For very little effort you could probably be back in business.

Jon  

newguy

One other thing - Make sure the trip pin or glad hand (whatever you want to call it) on the coupler isn't dragging on the rails or ties and derailing the whole locomotive. I had that problem and it took me forever to figure it out.  Mostly they get caught in the E-Z track turnouts. Just a suggestion.

New guy

Chesticus

Quote from: newguy123 on November 19, 2007, 10:22:36 PM
One other thing - Make sure the trip pin or glad hand (whatever you want to call it) on the coupler isn't dragging on the rails or ties and derailing the whole locomotive. I had that problem and it took me forever to figure it out.  Mostly they get caught in the E-Z track turnouts. Just a suggestion.

New guy

That was the very first thing I did Thanks for the sugestion though.
Iam not using e-z track. The switches have not been the problem. That has been the most frustrating part of it.

Chesticus

Chesticus

Quote from: jondrd on November 19, 2007, 08:58:15 PM
Chesticus,
   I second Jim's suggestion. I had an instance where pony truck would foul a straight section of a switch on a downgrade. Switch and truck checked out as in gauge. This was the only place on the layout where it would foul itself. There are enough other opportunities on my layout where it could justifiably have also fouled itself but didn't. After fiddling and fiddling I decided to add a bit of weight to the truck and bingo problem solved.
   It's a simple fix and if everything else on the loco is OK, why send it off and wait for its return? For very little effort you could probably be back in business.

Jon  

I am going to wait until this weekend to have a better look at this thing. But i will give it a go before I send it in.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Chesticus

Virginian

Check the track.  Get yourself a small level, and make sure it is level both side to side and along both rails.  Steam engines do not take kindly to any abrupt changes in elevation or plumb.
"What could have happened... did."

ebtbob

Good Morning,

Since you are not using EZ track,  can I ask how your track is fastened to your board?   If it is tacked,  nailed,  down,  make sure that you have hammered the tack, nail in too far as this will cause the track to bend and the rails are then out of gauge.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org