Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Decoder for 0-8-0

Started by glsummers, November 16, 2007, 08:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glsummers

What kind of decoder is the best for Proto 2000 0-8-0. Thanks

Jim Banner

That would depend on what features you want and/or must have.  For a switcher, back emf and speed table are a real asset, if you have a command station that can program them.  A couple of extra functions to operate a cab light and a couple of under cab work lights are nice.  And if you want sound, then you can choose a sound decoder that also produces the sounds that you want.  For low speed switcher operation, being able to synchronize the cuff to the wheels is a real asset, much more so than with a faster road locomotive.  It is nice to match the whistle to the type used by the railroad you are modelling, or if you are free lancing, then a whistle that sounds right to you.

All of these are decisions that you have to make for yourself before you start looking for specific decoders.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

DaveS

Being new to DCC and the installation of decoders, I put a Soundtraxx plug 'n play that was designed for this loco or the 0-6-0, into an 0-6-0 last month.
The operation is ok and the sound, while not great is acceptable, but what really surprised me was the loud hum from the motor.
Turns out this is par for the course with this unit as it isn't back EMF and although I adjusted CV9 as recommended by Tony's Train Exchange the hum is still there  but at least not as loud. A search on another forum confirmed others had the same issue with this decoder.
Just a word of caution if you are tempted to use one of these.
I doubt I will use this loco much until I can find a new decoder. $65 down the drain.

glsummers

Jim and Dave thanks for the input. I am basically modling PA my home state but with a lot of latitude. I try to get all of PA I can but if I find some others I like I purchase them. If I am going to put money into sound I sure do not want the hum Dave is talking about. If there is not sound  that is good for the  0-8-0 I will just install a decoder.
I have another question Jim. I have an 0-6-0 and have the sound decoder ready to install but they tell you to replace the lights. Do you know what kind of lights you would try to get? It too is a Proto 2000. Thanks Guys. Larry

Jim Banner

I personally like warm white LED's (which need a resistor of around 1000 ohms in series) but sometimes use 12-16 volt grain-of wheat bulbs, which do not require a resistor.  The original lights are typically 2.5 volt and can be used with a series resistor but the heat from the resistor can be a problem when you already have heat from the motor drive circuits and the sound circuits.  The heat from the resistor used with an LED is almost non-existent, so is not a problem.  Grain-of-wheat bulbs produce some heat but normally it is away from the decoder.

2beagles

The Digitrax DH165LO is what I use in all my Proto Heritage steam.  It is made for the Proto locomotives so you don't have to change your light and you don't need any extra resistors.  It plugs into the DCC socket in the tender and you are ready to go.  As a bonus, you can add the Digitrax Soundbug decoder later on whenever you want by simply plugging it into your DH165LO.

glsummers

Thanks for the input. You all have a happy Thanksgiving. Larry

Jim2903

Quote from: 2beagles on November 19, 2007, 04:45:07 PM
The Digitrax DH165LO is what I use in all my Proto Heritage steam.  It is made for the Proto locomotives so you don't have to change your light and you don't need any extra resistors.  It plugs into the DCC socket in the tender and you are ready to go.  As a bonus, you can add the Digitrax Soundbug decoder later on whenever you want by simply plugging it into your DH165LO.

But to use the Soundbug in the P2K switchers, you'd have to buy all the programming gear to install the appropriate steam sounds. I e-mailed Digitrax to ask what steam sound was preloaded in the Soundbug, and they told me it's the UP Challenger.

Jim Dudlicek
Hoffman Estates, IL
Jim Dudlicek
Hoffman Estates, IL

Cascade International Ry.

Jim Banner

Jim, the sound bug is in its infancy.  I am guessing that either your local hobby shop or  the people installing decoders for your local hobby shop will soon be buying sound programmers so that they can do this service for you.  Another alternative would be a local club or a member thereof wanting to make a few dollars to help support the club.