News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

NEW HO 2-6-2 disassembly?

Started by docdern, May 06, 2015, 07:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimreturnMRR

Thanks to Rich for post on relay circuit for smoke control by DCC.  It confirms my suspicion that current is more than 100ma.  I tried attaching photos but the response is folder is full.  I'm trying to follow the Photobucket instructions web address given  by Len.http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/BarnumTim/Model%20railroad/IMG_4942%20-%20showing%20screw%20holes%20and%20tabs%20-%20web%20size_zpsnsxgglev.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/BarnumTim/IMG_4948%20top%20view%20showing%20pc%20board%20mounted%20photo%202%20small%20for%20web_zps9igwscqb.jpg

I must be missing something because all I get is the above when I hit preview.  However if someone copies the web address between the 's then my picture will show up.

Hope someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

In the meantime I unscrewed the circuit board  and can see the bottom side.  there are two wire wound resistors which without removing them measure 14 ohms.  The heater for the smoke is 99ohms

jward

you need to add image tags ahead of and behing the link. these are :

ahead of the photo link place IMG enclosed in brackets.

after the photo like  place /IMG  enclosed in brackets.

note that if you use poarentheses instead of brackets, the image will not post.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

The relay trick works for smoke units, I've converted several old America Flyer 'S' locos to Timko can motors and DCC that way. But they have a lot more space to work with, unlike the HO 2-6-2/0-6-0 loco. The relay mention on the linked page is fairly large.

There's also the problem of Radio Shack being gone for all practical purposes. Which means tracking down suitable substitute parts.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

TimreturnMRR

Ok Len, I realized that when you said to click below the italics I that you meant what I now see is a picture icon and it worked in my preview.  the brackets you mention are there as pointed out in the instructions are already there with the cntrl V just placing the picture web address in the middle.  I'm going to add a couple of other photos as well

I think that I am going to leave the PC board in place but unsolder the motor wires and lead them into a connector going to a Digitrax series 6 sound decoder in tender.  I can attach a wire to the each of the screws to get the track power which will also go to connector for tender.  I'll leave the light and smoke alone right now to get track power and later decide to connect the light to the light function of the decoder.  I'll remove the light wires from the PC board. I'll have to make sure the decoder output for the light matches the voltage level of the light and probably need a resistor.  Once I do that, I can just remove the PC board entirely and just attach wires with its screws to the two sides of the split frame, unless I decide to keep smoke.

Sorry that photo 4 is not in better focus but my camera which allowed me to do manual focus in the past is not responding to it now.

There is a picture on one of the early posts showing an on/off switch for smoke.  None exists on this version

I hope this will be helpful to anyone wanting to add decoder to the newer Bachmann 2-6-2.  I'll post more when I get the decoder installation done or run into problems.

Tim

electrical whiz kid

Len;
You are right;  The Prairie is an excellent machine for most layouts.  I do not know much about them, other than most eastern roads had none; it looks as if in practice, they were geared to work passenger service.
Either way, I have two brass from "Key" and you are right.  They would look right at home on most home layouts. 

Rich
SGT C.