Can you use turnouts and turntables in dc?

Started by sedfred, May 13, 2015, 03:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sedfred

I plan on building a layout, I want it to have a turntable and a yard next to it and a track from the yard to a mainline. But I mainly use dc and I have only one dcc loco. In order to have a layout like this do I need to spend a fortune on dcc decoders to convert to dcc? Keep in mind I am too young to get a job, and most dcc decoders I see are over a hundred bucks. What should I do?

Bucksco

Bachmann turnouts and turntable can be run in Analog (DC) mode or in DCC.

richardl

Quote from: sedfred on May 13, 2015, 03:53:15 PM
I plan on building a layout, I want it to have a turntable and a yard next to it and a track from the yard to a mainline. But I mainly use dc and I have only one dcc loco. In order to have a layout like this do I need to spend a fortune on dcc decoders to convert to dcc? Keep in mind I am too young to get a job, and most dcc decoders I see are over a hundred bucks. What should I do?

If only running one loco at a time, DC is just fine.

Sound decoders are around $100 to maybe $140.
Non sound around $16 to $25 depending on your source.

Rich

Len

You can operate more than one loco at a time on a DC layout using "block" wiring. Atlas and Kalmbach both have books aimed at beginners that explain this in detail. There are also several good on line resources that explain it.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

sedfred

How exactly do you use turntables and turnouts in dc?

richardl

Use the DC controller for the TT. Motor controlled TT's have a DC motor. All the control box does is reverse the direction. The Bachmann TT comes with a DC adapter.
Turnouts are twin coil and you can use the AC off the accessory
side of the power pack.
To my knowledge, both come with instructions.

Rich

Jerrys HO

Quote from: sedfred on May 13, 2015, 06:59:17 PM
How exactly do you use turntables and turnouts in dc?

The same as you would with DCC.
The turntable and turnouts are the same in DC and DCC the only difference is when operating on DCC you have the capabilities to add a stationary decoder to the tt and turnouts to control them through your command station.
when operating them on DC or DCC and not using a decoder you power them through a separate power pack or wal wart and operate them with the controller supplied with them or one you can purchase separately.
When operating on a DC layout it may have to have block control to accomplish this feat, which on DCC there is no need unless you have a reversing section.
I have never wired or operated a DC layout so my knowledge is slightly limited. The best thing to do is pick up a book or two such as the one's Len stated and read them.

Jerry

electrical whiz kid

Jerry;
The book approach is right on the money!  A book is usually written with a lot of resource used by the author.  The book, text, and the illustrations (not a wise crack!) will help-especially the beginner-get positive knowledge and results.
Rich
SGT C.

Len

This is the Kalmbach book on wiring. It covers DC and DCC:

https://kalmbachhobbystore.com/model-trains/books/12491__Wiring-Your-Model-Railroad

If your LHS doesn't have it, you can order it on Amazon, Walthers, or through your local book store using the ISBN.

The Atlas book is, #12 The Complete Atlas Wiring Book. Again, it can be ordered on line or through your local book store if your  LHS doesn't carry it. It also covers some Atlas electrical controllers that are easy to use if you don't want to get into wiring toggle switches.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.