News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Piggyback trains - can I mix roadnames?

Started by austrian, May 10, 2015, 01:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electrical whiz kid

Thomas;
Not a  problem here.  I am no expert by any means; but if I could enlighten someone I will try.  Like I said; I don't know for certain, but it would seem plausible [that] TOFC cars from different roads might have gotten integrated.
Normally, a flat made specifically for TOFC usage, had guide/guard rails along the sides, and obviously mounting gear for the fifth wheel to rest upon.  I am sure there were other appliances incorporated; the best thing I can suggest, would be to go on line and maybe try to contact some of the info sources, like maybe the NHH&TS; a man named Rick Abramson might-no-probably be much more help than could I.
G'DAY, mate!
SGT C.

Len

The New Haven sure mixed them up. Here's a mixed bag of locos and TOFC cars:

Picture from jcatsby's collection.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on May 13, 2015, 01:53:28 PM
Thomas;

G'DAY, mate!
SGT C.

Guten tag SargeAustria not Australia.   I know, they both begin the same way... :D
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

Quote from: rogertra on May 13, 2015, 11:52:25 AM
I did answer the question, and my answer to the question "Is it OK to mix road names" was in effect "Yes".
So where did I go wrong?
I never posted the old red herring, "It's your railroad......" used to justify unprototypical model railroads but as it was posted, why can't I respond to it?  If people don't want responses, then don't post. 
Cheers.
Roger T.

Roger, yes you answered it in your very first reply (where you should have stopped) but when I replied my rule #1 you so politely added.....
"Doesn't work if you are trying to be realistic and or prototypical.  Smiley " which contradicts your first reply that YES you can mix road names with the exception of coal cars as you stated.
I did not bring up era's you did that is why I stated I will let you know when the OP decides to ask.
You are more than welcome to post as everyone does but just because I stated rule#1 you took my reply to the next level.

Thomas you did no wrong this is typical when you have modelers who have fun at what they do and modeler's that can tell the clothes on the plastic man at the depot is not wearing the correct style clothes for the era he is modeling  ;) :D ;D ???

Jerry

RAM

I think is the early days when they were using converted flat cars, the cars often went on other lines.  With trailer train getting into the game and improved loading of trailers, the old flat were soon gone.

jward

as I had mentioned before, the 52-55 foot flat had a comeback in the late 1970s/early 80s as increased trailer length made it impossible to fit two trailers on a single flatcar. this lasted until they were phased out by the articulated cars in the 1980s. I distinctly remember seeing trailer train flats in the 475000(?) series on a regular basis.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA