News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wiring Bachmann Smoke Pots in Other Locos

Started by Petey, May 18, 2015, 06:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petey

Hello Folks,
During a Bachmann sale, I decided to buy some of their smoke pots.  I knew that the opposite 'horns' were press fit into Bach.'s spilt weight.  So, being an expert lamp wirier, I was ready to go.  Well, it isn't going well.
I pulled a wire here, and another there, and attached one to each post.  Nothing happened.
When I apply leads from a 12volt bulb, the bulb lights.
This is in a Riv Big Boy.  Help.

jonathan

Petey,

The Bachmann smoke units require much warming up and nearly a full 12 volts of current in order for them to work.  I suspect you wired it up correctly (since the light lights).  You just have to run your big boy at full throttle for a long time to get the smoke to come out.

Regards,

Jonathan

Petey

Thanks, Jonathon.
Certainly, the pots are not efficient, but they do work and are cheap.  I have had Bach locos for many years and the smoke units do not work consistently from loco to loco.
I'll keep fooling with it, as a learning experience.
Best regards.

Len

If you really want reliable smoke in an HO loco, without spending several hundred $$$, look for an American Flyer 0-6-0 or 4-6-4 from the 1950's. They start smoking a relatively low voltages.

You can see in the picture, they have a piston driven smoke unit that puffs smoke and makes a 'chuff' sound with each puff. The motor is easy to maintain, and Athearn motor brushes fit. Or you can replace the motor with a drop in replacement can motor from Timko if you want to convert it to DCC. Put the decoder, and relays for the smoke unit and headlight in the tender. Couplers are horn-hook, but easy to upgrade to knuckle type.

I'm not a big fan of smoking HO locos, the residue on the tracks holds dirt, but I've got a couple of the HO Flyers for the grandkids.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Petey

richardl

A suggestion from Soundtraxx on how to do this with DCC. Some may be interested.
If you use the motor option, just make sure the smoke unit current and motor current does not exceed the motor current capability of the decoder.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/manuals/Tech_note%2014.pdf

Rich