News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

NS EZ TRACK

Started by davidone, May 20, 2015, 10:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidone

How do you guys like the EZ track, is it a good track system?  I would use the nickel silver.

kdgrant6

Davidone,

There are pluses and minuses to EZ Track.

It depends on what your involvement is now and where you intend for your layout to go.

What do you have now?

davidone

Nothing right now but my layout will be approx. 19x2 L shaped with enough room at both ends to use 18" and 22" radius curves.

I like continuous running, not really into operations.

I'm trying to decide what track system to use, EZ TRACK, Tru track, or Kato. I'm leaning away from Kato because of cost but I would like to use a track system that is very reliable.

RAM

The 19 feet is great, the 2 foot is not so great.  I would hope that you would stay with either small steam 2-8-0 any 4-6-0.  small units with 4 wheel trucks, f-units, or gps.

kdgrant6

Hey, davidone,

If you're wanting to put your trains running continually on loops, you'll have to have more than a 2 ft width on the ends.  18" radius curves take about 38" to turn. 

You probably will be happier if you allow for expanding into operations at a later date when continually running-looping trains begin to lose their visceral appeal.

davidone

Hey guys the ends will be wide enough to handle 22" curves. I rather build nice scenery to have my trains running thru then any type of operations.

I have operated on several friends layouts and believe me it is like watching grass grow. It is so boring and mind numbing IMO.

Besides nobody has answered my question, how is EZ track?

kdgrant6

Quote from: davidone on May 20, 2015, 11:44:25 PM
Nothing right now but my layout will be approx. 19x2 L shaped with enough room at both ends to use 18" and 22" radius curves.

I see what you mean now.  Are you planning a two-track layout?

Have you checked your personal messages for evaluation of EZ track?

Jerrys HO

Quote from: davidone on May 21, 2015, 04:49:43 PM
Besides nobody has answered my question, how is EZ track?

I will be glad to answer your question, my layout is 30x16 and all EZ NS. I love it. I find it as good or better than most roadbed track.
Your layout sounds like a fun one. I love the scenery part also.
Have fun and if you wish there is a thread "Show us your layout" and has a few layouts posted including the first phase of mine.
Jerry

davidone

Yes Kd I did read your note and it was much appreciated. Thank you for your thoughts.

davidone

Jerrys HO,

Sounds like you got a great layout.

It's between ATLAS Tru track and EZ track, looks like EZ track has more track pieces especially switches. Now to make a decision. My O my, decisions, decisions.

jbrock27

Double Ds, I know you asked about EZ track, but have you considered (or perhaps you have already ruled it out for some reason) using traditional, nickel silver, sectional and/or flex track, on top of cork or foam roadbed, to be ballasted later?

Good luck w/your decisions and please, keep us informed of your progress :).
Keep Calm and Carry On

RAM

I have not used EZ Track, and at my age ( go on 83) I will never use it.  As far as looks goes it look good for main lines.  When it come to yard track it makes the layout look like toy trains.  Yards are mainly flat.

davidone

I would love to use flex track but having onset Parkinson's makes it really hard to do that kind of work. So the use of a roadbed track system is the best for me. There are some scenic tricks I can use to help disguise the track in a yard.

jbrock27

I am sorry to learn about your condition.
Keep Calm and Carry On

kdgrant6

I'm sorry to hear that as well.

EZ Track should suit your purposes, then.

Since you'll apparently have long, straight stretches on your layout, I would suggest buying 3' straight sections for places where they would work in your layout.  A local hobby shop sells used ones of that length in NS at a good price.  Amazon offers some EZ track packs for a good price.  They have been opened, returned, inspected, and shipped out again.  I've never had problems with them.

Look for pictures in the forum of those layouts where ballasting of EZ Track has been done.

Pretty impressive.