News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

A Suggestion

Started by Sandpatch1, May 31, 2015, 11:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandpatch1

Hello Bach-Man
I am but a humble fan of your products, you make some fine steam locomotives. If you don't mind a suggestion for your product line, how about a Western Maryland Railway 4-8-4 ? These fine fast freight engines would delight kitbashers and WM fans alike. The Western Maryland Railway has a good many engines that would appeal to many costumers, such as the Large I-2 (not Russian) 2-10-0 Decapod.

I believe the Western Maryland doesn't get as much recognition as many other more famous railroads, but the Fast Freight line was a fine road, and people young and old would buy a WM engine.

Thank you for your consideration!
~Sandpatch1

electrical whiz kid

Patch;
From the drivers and firebox on up, you have to replace what Bachmann presently have in (?) inventory.  About the years ago, when the Spectrum line was introduced, one of the locomotives marketed was a Russian 2-10-0.  This is the engine to which I refer.
I will heartily agree with you on the WM, and a lot of their steam motive power was really attractive.  If, however, you are looking for a freight hauler, the 2-8-0 might fit your thoughts.  This was a locomotive used by many roads; Bachmann's product appears to be easily modified to look like those many roads.
Now, there are two considerations.

Rich C.
SGT C.

ACY

Basing any products off of a purely WM prototype would not be financially viable for Bachmann because Bachmann generally deals with mass production as opposed to some others who do limited runs. Taking your suggestions to those who do more limited runs would be best, since they are more likely to be able to fulfill your request. The Western Maryland is not as popular as Sanata Fe, Union Pacific, B&O et al when it comes to sales numbers so unless the WM prototype was shared by some other more mainstream railroad then it is not going to be feasible for Bachmann to produce because at the end of the day Bachmann is in business to make money and that supersedes everything else.

Perhaps look into buying brass detail parts and modifying existing locomotives to suit your needs. Alternatively if you have a couple hundred thousand dollars you can personally see to getting those locomotives produced by Bachmann, but short of that all you can do is make your suggestion to a company that deals in brass models (and limited runs), you could probably get a limited run of both of the locomotives made in brass if you were able to pay $50,000 upfront for each model, you would probably be looking at a production run around 15-20 models for that rate.

Unfortunately for you the WM does not have sufficient sales numbers to support the production (especially by Bachmann) of any locomotives unique to the railroad.

jward

modeling western Maryland would be easy in the diesel era, with Bachmann already making the alco s2, s4, rs3 and fa2. also appropriate are the f7a/b, gp7, gp9, gp35 and gp40 and 44ton. other companies make the rs2, most of the baldwins, the f3a/b, bl2, sd35 and sd40. this leaves only the s6, high hood rs3s, and the yard slugs unavailable. the caboose fleet is also represented by the bachmann center cupola style caboose. for modeling later years, the gp7 and gp9 fleet would have to have their short hood chopped, which should be a relatively simple conversion ( it was on the athearn models)

having witnessed this railroad's final years, I agree it would make an excellent railroad to model, especially the lines west of Hagerstown.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

Western Maryland might be more popular than you'd think. The hobby shop where my repair shop was located had to restock HO and O WM "Fireball" steam locos on a regular basis. Whether they were fully accurate or not. For whatever reason, kids in particular like the "Fireball" logo on steam locos.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

electrical whiz kid

Harold Zane has a pretty good layout based at least on WM prototype, as I have seen.  Not too sure about his first name, but you get the picture.  Go on line-or MR did a pretty good DVD several years back...Would be worth looking at.
SGT C.