Bachmann Auto Reverse Trolley set - Am I missing part / have wrong part?

Started by mmatarella, September 09, 2015, 02:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmatarella

I purchased a used Bachmann auto reverse trolley set, the bundle that had the trolley and building. When assembled with the cut rail sections at the ends the trolley ( and another loco I tried)  just lights up and vibrates. I put the trolley on my regular layout and it works fine.

Since it appears upon looking  that the trolley has no special electronics, and the underside of the track has multiple taps but no obvious electronics, I assume the reverse function is in the grey controller which connects to the track via a 3.5mm four conductor jack.

Do I have the wrong controller? It appears like the one on the package, but the part number 46605A when googled just comes up as a normal power controller with no mention of a auto reverse function.

Thanks for any help!
 Mark

P.S. Tried to reply but was denied, so, also tried to upload a photo the underside of the tracks but it says the upload folder is full? 

The two tracks only have wires underneath, there are no components. SO while the end tracks have a split rail, and wiring to each I don't see any components capable of causing the reverse operation. Even with only the piece of track from the shed connected, the trolley or any loco just lights up and buzzes. But works fine on my regular layout.

Hunt

The reversing electronics are in the trolley depot for that set.

Recheck all track to see if any of the track is regular type instead of the auto-reversing type.

Contact Bachmann Service Dept. to discuss your situation and options.

mmatarella

Checked, then tried with just the two end pieces with split rail, and indeed also with just the terminal track. Car just lights up and buzzes, loudly, and with no change in volume relative to the 'speed' setting. Tried reverse switch, tried reversing car orientation, and car works on other layout.

jward

if u have a voltmeter, checque the track voltage on the ac setting. it sounds like your trolley is getting ac instead of dc.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

What Jeff said. It sounds like the rectifier in the speed controller that converts AC from the power pack to DC for the trolley has gone bad.

If you connect it to a terminal track, without the trolley barn or gapped tracks, does the trolley still buzz? If so, you need a new speed controller.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

richardl

Quote from: mmatarella on September 09, 2015, 02:21:19 PM

also tried to upload a photo the underside of the tracks but it says the upload folder is full? 

Welcome.

That feature here has not worked for some time.
You need a Photo hoisting site like Photo Bucket to post pictures here.

http://photobucket.com/

Scroll down the forums to General Questions for instructions.

Rich

mmatarella

Checked with meter, the power pack is putting out AC.

I did find a manual for the auto reverse set online that has a photo of the speed controller, and the jack is supposed to be marked 'To reversing track' whilst mine says simply 'to track'.

I bought the set used and seems I got a bad speed controller as well as being the wrong one.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

You should be able to use any DC power pack/throttle with the set.

A quick way to verify is to hold the terminals of a fresh 9V battery against the rails of the power input track, on the same side of the gaps the throttle plugged into. The trolley should run without any problems.

Also make sure the gaps at each end are on the same rail.

This:
------------------------------------------------------------
--------||----------------------------------||--------------

Not this:
--------||-------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------||-------------

Unless the instructions say otherwise, it shouldn't matter which rail, as long as it's the same one.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.