News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Adding a sound module to a Bachmann RS-3

Started by kdgrant6, June 02, 2015, 06:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdgrant6

I bought a Bachmann Alco RS-3 three months ago.  It has DCC on board, but not sound.  Bachmann offers a DCC RS-3 with sound, so I assume there's room within the loco housing for the speaker and the module.   

I've searched through Bachmann's parts inventory under the RS-3 listing, but have not found an appropriate module.  Soundtraxx says they are available and gives a list of dealers.

First, how difficult is it to change the current DCC (non-sound module) for one with sound?

Second, now that I use an NCE Power Cab, should I look for a sound module that allows more features than the Sound Value? 

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

I would recommend a Soundtraxx TSU-AT1000 ALCo 244 Prime Mover sound decoder for the RS-3 as that is the prime mover that particular locomotive had fitted when new way back when. As far as where to put the speaker, some newer Bachmann diesels have holes and a space for the speaker in the fuel tank beneath the model. Others don't have such features and the speaker would the have to be stuffed into the shell of the model (I myself in such a situation would opt for under the exhaust stack or one or two of the radiator fans).

richardl

I am sure you know now but Bachmann does not sell sound decoders.
Bachmann does sell sound modules but only for a couple steamers the last I knew.
Sound modules are not sound decoders. Big difference if you are new to DCC.
The decoder from SoundTraxx is not a Sound Value decoder. Sound Value are only in Bachmann factory installed locos.

Below is what a Sound Value RS-3 looks like. You can see a place for the speaker. The tank seems like the same for the DCC ready version.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/HO%20RS3_DCC%20SOUND%20EQUIPPED.pdf

Just in case. Bachmann does sell the tank with speaker. Cannot tell what size speaker. Some here should know.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_572&products_id=7979

Rich

richardl

How difficult will depend on your mechanical and soldering capacities. The plastic clips work but the SoundTraxx decoder does not come with them.
Placement of the decoder board, I have no idea. I usually have used double sided foam tape.
If the loco has LED's, you will need a 1k, 1/4 watt resistor in series with one lead.

Rich

bapguy

There should be room in the fuel tank for a speaker. The link is to Soundtraxx web site. They show how to install one in a GP9, it will give you an idea of how to do it for the RS3. You wont have to enlarge the hole for the speaker.  Joe
http://www.soundtraxx.com/documents/appnotes/bachmann_gp7.pdf

jbrock27

Like richg, excuse me, richardl stated, soldering ability will be key.
Keep Calm and Carry On

richardl

You might have trouble squeezing in the stay alive cap. Someone in the group wants to remove the cap because of lack of space. No idea on how much space you have.

As far as soldering goes, you might use the plastic clips on the DCC ready PC board to connect the Tsunami but that is not always a reliable way to connect the decoder.

Rich

bapguy

Someone in the group wants to remove the cap because of lack of space.  It seems to me that if the cab is removed from the shell, the top of  area of the shell where the cab goes could be cut out to give extra room for the cap to fit in.  Joe

electrical whiz kid

Quote from: richardl on June 03, 2015, 11:22:27 AM
How difficult will depend on your mechanical and soldering capacities. The plastic clips work but the SoundTraxx decoder does not come with them.
Placement of the decoder board, I have no idea. I usually have used double sided foam tape.
If the loco has LED's, you will need a 1k, 1/4 watt resistor in series with one lead.

Rich
Richardl;
Go to "Micro-Mark" or "Greenway"; they have very; VERY. small plugs that can be utilized for this stuff.  They do not take up a lot of room, and I believe they can be installed sans solder.
RichC