Question about HO Scale sizes

Started by retired RRM, June 14, 2015, 03:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retired RRM

Three years ago my sons purchased a HO steam train set called Pacific Flyer for me. It runs great and I love it. Recently I was given another HO train set called Old Time Village Express. I believe this set is about 10 years old and came factory sealed. However when comparing the two sets I noticed they are different in size BUT both are HO scale. The 1st set is a 060 while the 2nd set is a 440.

My questions are, why is the 440 locomotive smaller than the 060 locomotive? AND Why is the motor for the 440 locomotive located in the tender with a drive shaft and not in the locomotive itself? (like the 060 locomotive is).

Could this be due to the age difference?
What size is the current Jupiter Old Time locomotive and where is the motor located?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Len

The old time 4-4-0 locos were in fact physcially smaller than later 0-6-0 locos. The 0-6-0's were heavier, with larger boilers, and could pull more cars.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ACY

The motor for the 4-4-0 was in the tender because there was not sufficient space. The 4-4-0 was smaller in real life; old-time locomotives were not as big.