DCC controlling 2 trains for different routes

Started by billgiannelli, June 22, 2015, 02:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billgiannelli

I have a layout with a small loop connected inside a larger loop. Can I have DCC control put on train to run both loops and a second train to run only the outside loop?
thanks
Bill

jward

dcc can be hooked up to control any dcc locomotive, anywhere that is powered by your command station. if I understand your question correctly, you have one train that shuttled back and forth between the two loops, and another that will only use one of the loops. this is very easy to do, run the trains with your controller, and just throw the switches whenever you want a train to change its route.

if you want to do the above automatically, you are talking about adding some relatively complex control circuitry, or modifying your locomotives, or both.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

billgiannelli

Hi jward!,
Thank you for your answer!
Yes, I do want it to throw the switches automatically.
thanks
Bill

billgiannelli

Is there any book recommended for wiring such a setup?
thanks
Bill

jward

the digitrax big book of dcc covers automation using dcc components and a computer interface. not sure what dcc system you are using, but not all are compatable with a computer interface. other, older books on model railroad electronics will probably have analog methods of automated control.

when I was younger I worked for a man who had a mobile model railroad built in a trailer that we would set up at county fairs. he had a 10 track staging yard in the back that was controlled by reed switches triggered by magnets mounted on the locomotives and cabooses. as each train entered the staging yard and got in the clear on its track, the circuit would automatically stop the train and throw the switches to let the next train run.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

billgiannelli

Thanks for the info!
I am using the BACHMANN DYNAMIS DCC system. What sort of limitations might that have?
thanks
Bill

ACY

Quote from: billgiannelli on June 23, 2015, 07:43:45 AM
Thanks for the info!
I am using the BACHMANN DYNAMIS DCC system. What sort of limitations might that have?
thanks
Bill
If you get DCC turnouts then you can throw the turnouts from your Dynamis, but the Dynamis does not support a PC-interface at this time. However, the new Dynamis coming out in the UK I think has this support. You can always use an analog method for the automated turnouts but this will be a very tedious and difficult task in my opinion. Good luck with whichever route you choose.

jward

since your dynamis doesn't support a pc interface you'll probably have to design your own analog system.

you may want to look into a circuitron tc2, which will alternate which way the switch is thrown every time its input is activated. their catalog shows it configured with an optosensor which triggers every time a train casts a shadow on it. but in you case, you may be able to substitute a reed switch for the optosensor, and use a magnet mounted on one of your locomotives or cars to trigger the reed switch.

http://circuitron.com/index_files/cat/301CAT.pdf

the tc2 is on page 33 of the catalog linked to above.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA