News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 5 AMP booster troubleshooting

Started by jayre1965, July 03, 2015, 01:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayre1965

Folks I need some assistance here - just purchased a 5 AMP booster from Bachmann for my DCC rail  - - After hooking it up per the instructions - tested the track AMPs and voltage - no change to the power supply. does anyone know how to trouble shoot the 5 AMP booster?

Thanks

JayRe

rogertra

Quote from: jayre1965 on July 03, 2015, 01:04:52 PM
Folks I need some assistance here - just purchased a 5 AMP booster from Bachmann for my DCC rail  - - After hooking it up per the instructions - tested the track AMPs and voltage - no change to the power supply. does anyone know how to trouble shoot the 5 AMP booster?

Thanks

JayRe

How and what did you use to test the amperage output, just so we know?

You know the voltage output will not change?

Have to ask basic questions as many people on this group are......... beginners?

Cheers

Roger T.

jayre1965

Roger T.
             Multimeter - out put with EX Command controller only = 11.29 volts constant to the track with the 5 amp booster I am getting 14.86 volts to the track. EX Command AMPS by it self = 1.7 AMPs and wit the 5 AMP booster I get 1.9 AMPS at the track. 

JayRe

richardl

Quote from: jayre1965 on July 03, 2015, 02:58:34 PM
Roger T.
            Multimeter - out put with EX Command controller only = 11.29 volts constant to the track with the 5 amp booster I am getting 14.86 volts to the track. EX Command AMPS by it self = 1.7 AMPs and wit the 5 AMP booster I get 1.9 AMPS at the track.  

JayRe

The numbers with the booster look ok.
How many locos are you running?

I have seen about 13.6 VAC with three amps on a NCE 5 amp Power Pro with seven HO sound locos.
I have a home made DCC amp meter which trips at about 4.95 to 4.97 amps so I know it is accurate enough.

Rich

richardl

Quote from: jayre1965 on July 03, 2015, 03:42:43 PM
5 two are doubles = 7

You hesitate to give much info.

I am guessing seven non sound DCC equipped locos.

What scale are you running?

Guess I am missing something. What is the problem?

Rich

jayre1965

RAM

I may be wrong on this.  If you had a 100 amp power supply, and you were running  5 locomotives, each drawing 1/2 amp.  It would only show 2 and 1/2 amps.  In other words it would only show how many amps are being used.

electrical whiz kid

Ram; for all intents and purposes, you are right.  If, however, your voltage was not where it should be, your current draw would be directionally proportional or inversely proportional, depending upon the nature of the load.

Rich C.

Len

The amp rating, whether it's 1.5, 3, 5, or 8, is the maximum amperage availalbe to whatever load you're putting on the supply at the rated voltage. Read the specs carefully to see if that rating is peak or sustained, there's a difference.

If you should ever pull 5 amps with only 5 HO locos, you either have something seriously wrong somewhere. Or you're running old American Flyer die cast HO locos with smoke units that haven't been lubed in a while.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.