News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Turntable and Auto Reverser

Started by titan106, July 08, 2015, 01:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

titan106

I have been dealing with an ongoing problem and maybe someone can help. I bought an HO Bachmann turntable a few years ago. I added extra rails to make it a dual gauge TT. After several issues I sent it back to Bachmann and received a new one. Before I did any modifications I tested it and the same issues were happening.

Bottom line, I cannot get consistent power from the track buss (#4 slot) to each of the tracks. I have spent hours trying to troubleshoot this. Using DCC to rotate the TT works fine and always has. I was thinking today that maybe I bypass the built in reverser in the TT and buy an auto reverser from one of several companies. I'm really getting tired of trying to fix this, even to the point of buying a more expensive Walthers DCC TT. Any thoughts? Thanks.

railtwister

I'm not familiar with the Bachmann TT, I just assumed it was like the Atlas unit. Are you trying to feed all the stall tracks from the incoming track, or through the turning track, or what? Traditionally, a turntable's stall tracks are wired with their own feeders, usually through a toggle switch that allows power to be shut off for each individual track.

Bill in FtL

electrical whiz kid

Wire separately all stall tracks you want to use, and isolate each from the other by a DPST switch for the feeders.  Do NOT EVER rely upon a turntable rails to carry reliable feed to a stall track; I don't care WHO makes it!.  That is akin to relying upon rail joiners to carry your track current; another no-no.
Approach service type trackage as if  you were wiring standard DC.  Also; if you haven't purchased a high quality VOM (volt/ohm/multimeter), do so-and do not rely upon anything else for verifying if something is correct.  High-Quality as in not to sell the family farm, but something that you can count on-there is a lot of junk out there.  Caveat Emptor.  As an OLD (Never mind the funnies, Jim...)electrician, I can see this to be the most reliable method; unless I misunderstood something you said.

Rich C.   

electrical whiz kid

CORRECTION:
On stall tracks:  DPDT SWITCH coordinated with TT feeders.

Rich C.