EZ-Track #4 Switch doesn't fit NMRA template...

Started by RCtrax05, July 09, 2015, 10:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RCtrax05

I have found out the hard way that my EZ-Track #4 turnouts have a problem... The point for the curved route is straight (no curve in it at all)... B-B engines seem to be able to work OK, but C-C engines do not.

The problem is that the corresponding rail IS curved, and with the point being straight, this creates a "pinch point" in the middle of the turnout... This causes engines such as my SD40-2 to derail almost every time - even when the engine does not derail, there is an audible "clunk" as the wheels ride up on the pinch point, then drop back down...

The most obvious "solution" would appear to be to BEND the switch point to match the curve in the corresponding rail... However, initial attempts seem to risk damage to the switch. the tip of the point is only a friction fit into the plastic bar that moves the points and the opposite end is just riveted to a contact... Forcing a bend in the point risks either breaking the bar or the rivet attaching point...????

Has anyone else had this problem...?
How did you solve it..?

RCtrax05

Just an additional note: The NMRA gauge will NOT fit through the pinch point in the switch... the tight spot created by the straight point -vs- the curved rail is roughly 1mm too narrow for the gauge...

rogertra

Quote from: RCtrax05 on July 09, 2015, 10:34:10 PM
I have found out the hard way that my EZ-Track #4 turnouts have a problem... The point for the curved route is straight (no curve in it at all)... B-B engines seem to be able to work OK, but C-C engines do not.

The problem is that the corresponding rail IS curved, and with the point being straight, this creates a "pinch point" in the middle of the turnout... This causes engines such as my SD40-2 to derail almost every time - even when the engine does not derail, there is an audible "clunk" as the wheels ride up on the pinch point, then drop back down...

The most obvious "solution" would appear to be to BEND the switch point to match the curve in the corresponding rail... However, initial attempts seem to risk damage to the switch. the tip of the point is only a friction fit into the plastic bar that moves the points and the opposite end is just riveted to a contact... Forcing a bend in the point risks either breaking the bar or the rivet attaching point...????

Has anyone else had this problem...?
How did you solve it..?

The switch is built like all North American switches.  On North American prototype switches, the switch points, the bits of rail that move, are straight so in that it is prototypically designed.

I don't use EZ-Track, for numerous reasons but I'd suggest you try and carefully file a little off the stock rail, the rail against which the switch point "nests" and also a little from the outside of the switch point, the side that touches the stock rail and see that helps.  If the trouble persists on both the straight and curve route, then perform that little surgery on both sides.

That may help.

Cheers

Roger T.

jward

I would suggest that when working on the "curved" point, that you line the switch for the straight route and wedge the "curved" point open with a matchstick or other solid object. this way, when you do try to work on the point, it won't flop around and you won't be putting a lot of pressure on the throwbar. good luck!
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

When this "clunk" occurs, is it like a car hitting a pothole?
I am sorry, what are B-B and C-C engines?
I would also trust what the NMRA gauge is telling you.  A lot of folks overlook they can be used for turnout trouble shooting. Good on you for using it!
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

Quote from: jbrock27 on July 10, 2015, 07:24:21 AM
When this "clunk" occurs, is it like a car hitting a pothole?
I am sorry, what are B-B and C-C engines?
I would also trust what the NMRA gauge is telling you.  A lot of folks overlook they can be used for turnout trouble shooting. Good on you for using it!

B-B and C-C can be Googled but a B-B engine had two four wheeled trucks and a C-C engine has two six wheeled trucks.

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

Thanks Roger.  You're up early.
But don't get why the initials would designate same?

To RCT's observation, this would be bc there is more "flexibility" and less travel distance for a B-B vs C-C loco's trucks.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

Piyer

Quote from: jbrock27 on July 10, 2015, 07:35:20 AM
Thanks Roger.  You're up early.
But don't get why the initials would designate same?

Prototype diesel wheel arrangements (ini the US) use a combination of letters and numbers to denote powered axles (letters) and unpowered axles (numbers). By "powered" and "unpowered" I mean that the axle either has a traction motor mounted to it or it doesn't. For example.....

An EMD SD40-2 is a C-C locomotive because it has 3 powered axles on each truck.

An ALCO PA-1 is an A1A-A1A locomotive because the outermost axles on each truck are powered, but the center ones are unpowered. They are there to help spread the weight of the locomotive over more axles.

An EMD FL-9 (duel-mode F-units built originally for the New Haven RR) are B-A1A locomotives with 2 powered axles on the lead truck and a powered / idler / powered on the rear truck (again, to spread the weight of the unit).

And a GP38-2 is a B-B locomotive because it has 2 powered axles on each truck.

~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

jbrock27

Thank you Piyer for the additional information and lesson.  I get all that and knew that when it came to, for example, U-Boat diesel locos, that the 1st #, 4 or 6 of the series designated whether it was a 4 or 6 axle diesel.  That is pretty straighforward and logical, making sense.

But, I still am not seeing how "B-B" an "C-C" came to have any correlation with the number of axles ???  I see nothing in the info that has been provided that tells where using a "B" and a "C" to differentiate them, came from.  It does not look to me, unless I am missing something, that B or C are short for anything, so...
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

It's an AAR wheel arrangement descriptor for diesel-electric locos, similar to the Whyte system for steam power

There's a pretty good description of the system at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAR_wheel_arrangement

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Thank you Len.  I checked it out.  Looks to me like AAR came up with using the letters they did, to designate a number; ie:  A (first ltr of alphabet) =1, B (second letter of alphabet)=2, C (third letter of alphabet) =3 and etc. 

Not that my life and hobby endeavours could not have carried on as normal w/o knowing all that, but I thank you for clarifiying  :D 
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

Quote from: Piyer on July 10, 2015, 12:14:37 PM

Prototype diesel wheel arrangements (ini the US) use a combination of letters and numbers to denote powered axles (letters) and unpowered axles (numbers).

It not just a USA system, it's an international system actually based on European steam locomotive wheel arrangement designations or more probably the French system.

The French would describe a 4-6-2 steam loco as a 2C1 not as a 4-6-2.

Because the system of using letters rather than numbers for wheel arrangements wasn't invented in the States, the USA had to be different so while the rest of the world uses designations like BB and CC the USA inserts a dash, hence B-B and C-C.  Canada, of course, follows the USA and inserts the dash.  Not sure what Mexico does.

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

Quote from: rogertra on July 10, 2015, 01:27:44 PM
Not up early but getting home after work.  :)
Roger T.

Out late then ;).  Regardless, thank you for being the first responder to my question.
Keep Calm and Carry On