News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Track

Started by hot-metal, July 16, 2015, 11:26:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hot-metal

I am thinking of using sections of EZ track at each end of some HO modules I plan on building. My thoughts were I could easily snap a loose section in to fill the gap between the track on each module end assuring me of perfect alignment and staying together. Do the sections separate easily if pulled apart horizontally or do they require some release trick? I have never used EZ track and have not purchased any yet. 

jbrock27

I don't think EZ track would be your best bet for what you want to do bc of the method in which the sections join together.  The hold tight and unless they're NOT secured to something, it will be difficult to seperate connected sections, IMHO.  I can't see them being anything but difficult to use in a modular setting.

Track w/o roadbed attached would be the way to go.  Use GOOGLE Search or You Tube for ideas on How To.

Good luck :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

hot-metal

I thought EZ track snapped together. Doesn't it snap apart easily?

Joe323

Yes it does but over time I think you are going to find that either the little plastic tabs or the rail joiners are going to bend or break.  If I were building a modular layout I would look into some sort of dowel and hole system to align the sections  I believe Model Railroader is a good place to look for ideas.

jbrock27

Quote from: hot-metal on July 16, 2015, 04:33:33 PM
I thought EZ track snapped together. Doesn't it snap apart easily?

I does and will, but only if it is NOT secured to something, like tacked down to a train board or layout board, like most modular layouts would be.  Once you have it snapped together AND secured to a layout board, thus no longer making it temporary, it will be very difficult for you to seperate 2 sections for the purpose of moving the module.  It may work if you do not secure or tack down the 2 track sections on either side of your modular "joint" and remove those 2 sections each and every time you want to move modules, but like had said, I don't think EZ track suits the purpose of modulars very well for those reasons as well as the ones Joe points out.  Just MHO.
Good luck :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

I've always found a piece of sectional track, with the first "spike" clipped on both rails on both ends, the best way to go for connecting modules togther. This allows the rail joiners to be slid back, so once the modules are mechanically connected, the track can be laid in place and the rail joiners slid over to connect with the modules track.

Using EZ-Track, you would have to physically pull the modules apart to remove the 'bridge' track connecting them. This could result in damage to scenary on the modules if it's not done carefully.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.