News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-6-0 tender derailing. Help?

Started by ttysontrains, July 13, 2015, 10:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ttysontrains

I just purchased a 4-6-0 do engine..  The pony truck kept derailing, and I fixed that problem.  But the tender refuses to stay on the track. The drawbar is fine.  I'm thinking the wiring may be pushing up on the tender, causing the front truck to become airborne, causing the derailment.  Anyone have a fix for this problem?   Thx

richardl

I have a couple of those and a 4-4-0. I carefully tucked the wires a little up into the tender. I also removed the plastic sleeve around the wires.

Rich

ttysontrains

GN.2-6-8-0

Also Bachmann tenders are notorious for needing a oz.or 2 of weight near the front.
Rocky Lives

ACY

If you add some lead weight it should eventually be heavy enough where the wires will not cause an issue.

Trainman203

Where did you find an HO 4-6-0?  That very popular engine has been discontinued at least 4 years now, with apparently no return on the horizon.  I have 6 and want more.

wjstix

If the engine has a fold-down 'apron' between the cab and the front deck of the tender, be sure that the apron isn't getting caught under the lip at the front of the tender. This can cause the tender to ride high in front, and easily derail. I usually fold the apron up (towards the cab), then wait until all the engine and tender wheels are on the track, and reach in with a pencil or small screwdriver and lower the apron.

jonathan

Great Work, Doc!

Those locos are beautiful.

Regards,

Jonathan

jbrock27

Doc Wayne has shown some great work over at the MRR Forum.  I'm a fan :)
Keep Calm and Carry On