Looking for feedback on Bachmann S-2 and S-4 HO models

Started by jbrock27, July 14, 2015, 12:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

I would be in the market for analog models, but would appreciate any feedback on the units themselves, outside of any DCC component. 

Thank you :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

ACY

I have both models. They are lacking in pulling power, however I have not tried adding any lead weight. If you have any significant grade in excess of 1 or 2%, then do not expect to pull much. The detail seems fine and it runs fine otherwise and the sound is fine. I have 3 with sound and one analog unit that I put a regular decoder in. I could do a demonstration video of them except starting today our club layout is going to be under construction.

ACY

https://youtu.be/ZL4AgL-_Y6I
Here is a short video I recorded on my phone, I apologize as the layout is currently under construction.

jbrock27

ACY, I had a strong hunch you would be the 1st to reply and that I could count on you :).  Thank you for taking the time.

The humming in the video is not from the loco is it?  Or is that one of the ones w/sound and the sound is on?

And that's a great lookin club layout!
Keep Calm and Carry On

ACY

It is the dehumidifier running in the background. I can record a brief clip of the sound engine of you want. And the locomotive couldn't pull any more than those 5 cars on the layout. So like I said you should consider adding lead weight

jward

i have an s2 from Bachmann, one from atlas and an s1 from proto. of the 3 the atlas is the heaviest and best puller. the Bachmann is a good smooth runner even if it is a bit light. the p2k's get up and go got up and left, now it can't get out of its own way.

the Bachmann will make a great shortline or industrial locomotive, where you won't be pulling a lot of cars. or, you could buy 2 and run them in multiple, as numerous prototype roads did.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

Quote from: ACY on July 14, 2015, 08:37:57 PM
It is the dehumidifier running in the background.
Makes perfect sense this time of year.
I can record a brief clip of the sound engine of you want.
Not necessary, thank you ACY.
...you should consider adding lead weight
Thank you.  I have lead, stick ons, pennies...

Thank you for your response Jeff and I appreciate your including the other brands as I have been looking as well at the Austrian born Atlases and I have a P2K S1.  I have to remove the board on the S1 as the starting voltage is very high and wire it for DC operation.
Keep Calm and Carry On

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

I have the Bachmann ALCo S4 with sound and it runs great and sounds great. Yeah it may not be able to pull as much as other HO scale diesels but keep in mind, it is meant to be a switcher and light branchline or industrial switching engine. So about 10 cars with only one locomotive is about normal for what these engines would have handled on the main or on a branch or in industrial work is quite normal. I myself don't haul more than about 10 (11 with a caboose) at a time to make it look a little more realistic.

ACY

Quote from: MilwaukeeRoadfan261 on July 16, 2015, 12:39:49 PM
I have the Bachmann ALCo S4 with sound and it runs great and sounds great. Yeah it may not be able to pull as much as other HO scale diesels but keep in mind, it is meant to be a switcher and light branchline or industrial switching engine. So about 10 cars with only one locomotive is about normal for what these engines would have handled on the main or on a branch or in industrial work is quite normal. I myself don't haul more than about 10 (11 with a caboose) at a time to make it look a little more realistic.
If you watch the video I posted you will see that it can only pull 5 short cars on a layout with grades. It will get stuck if I attempt to pull even one more car. Unless your rolling stock is grossly underweight and you have a completely level layout, you probably won't be able to pull 10 cars.

Rlfbeadle

I have a Bachmann S-2, PRR cab NBR 8432, and it runs good and pulls about 12 cars plus cabin car on the level until recently.  The locomotive will not move but the lights and sound continues.  The sound will speed up and down with throttle movement and the lights will turn on and off and reverse on command.  I use an NCE Power Cab system.  It is not consisted and CV-19 = 0.  I have reset the decoder (CV-30 =2} the loco still will not move using the default factory address of '3'.  I did notice that when changing CV's on the programing track, the loco would lurch forward which tells me the motor is connected to the decoder.  Sound and lights still work.

Does anyone have any additional ideas?
Harley/Trainman

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Quote from: ACY on July 16, 2015, 07:39:31 PM
Quote from: MilwaukeeRoadfan261 on July 16, 2015, 12:39:49 PM
If you watch the video I posted you will see that it can only pull 5 short cars on a layout with grades. It will get stuck if I attempt to pull even one more car. Unless your rolling stock is grossly underweight and you have a completely level layout, you probably won't be able to pull 10 cars.

My figure of 10 cars (11 if you have a caboose on the tail end) is based on what I have had it pull on my layout on level track as my model railroads haven't had hills. I tried adding a hill once and I decided to scrap the idea as it would have been to steep a grade for any of my engines at the time, and that includes my Bachmann GS-4 and Bachmann C&O 2-8-4 which where my strongest engines at the time and of coarse are still two of my strongest engines.