News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-0

Started by EBT17, December 01, 2014, 03:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electrical whiz kid

Hi Roger;
I have been using denatured alcohol for a long time in my shop; usually for cutting shellac, and other like applications.  I had always been somewhat gun-shy about using this for the models, probably just as well.  Thank you for the heads up here.
Rich C.

grsman

This has been discussed several times before.
See the following discussion:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,27957.0.html
I have used Super Clean with great success.
Tom

jbrock27

BTW Tom, you are repeating yourself.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,30522.0.html

Curious, since 99% isopropyl is a great paint stripper, isn't there a high risk of also removing the paint around the decal you are trying to remove, when using it?
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

Quote from: jbrock27 on July 21, 2015, 07:04:55 AM
BTW Tom, you are repeating yourself.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,30522.0.html

Curious, since 99% isopropyl is a great paint stripper, isn't there a high risk of also removing the paint around the decal you are trying to remove, when using it?

Not if you are careful and do not soak overnight.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

Yep, never came across 99% either.

How about 91% isopropyl Dr. Wayne?  Have you ever used that to remove a decal or pad printed number or letter?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Thank you for getting back to me.  Did not know you that's where you live and did not know 91% was not available up there (not sure why then Rogertra said he would keep 91% in in mind when I mentioned it as a good paint stripper some time ago)? 
91% can be found in places down here like Wal-Fart, Target and drug stores.  I have said here previously, when I run out of the 91% I have, I will try the Super Clean.
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

Quote from: jbrock27 on July 22, 2015, 08:06:31 PM
Thank you for getting back to me.  Did not know you that's where you live and did not know 91% was not available up there (not sure why then Rogertra said he would keep 91% in in mind when I mentioned it as a good paint stripper some time ago)? 
91% can be found in places down here like Wal-Fart, Target and drug stores.  I have said here previously, when I run out of the 91% I have, I will try the Super Clean.

I used 99%, which seems like it's only available in Canada.  I've used 99% for years. I prefer it over brake fluid, my old standby, as I sadly found out, brake fluid can warp plastic, especially smaller parts.

No idea why I would have said 91% was not available.  Brain fart I guess.   

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

Quote from: rogertra on July 22, 2015, 08:42:50 PM

Cheers

Roger T.

But that is not what you said and I am not saying that is what you said.  ???  Had you said that, it would have made more sense, since 91% is not available to you in Canada.

Instead, this is what you had said:

Quote from: rogertra on December 02, 2014, 11:51:45 AM
Quote from: jbrock27 on December 02, 2014, 07:29:09 AM
I can attest to how well 91% works...

Excellent suggestion, I'll try that next time I have to strip a body.  :)
(It's on Page 1 of this topic on 12/2/14@12:51:45 PM)

Which makes little sense bc if you can't get 91% where you are, how would you be able to try it?
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Jim; there are a lot of things one can get on line; perhaps this is one of them.  All he said was that it is "unavailable in Canada."  He didn't say it was illegal.

Rich C.

rogertra

Quote from: jbrock27 on July 23, 2015, 06:42:59 AM
Quote from: rogertra on July 22, 2015, 08:42:50 PM

Cheers

Roger T.

But that is not what you said and I am not saying that is what you said.  ???  Had you said that, it would have made more sense, since 91% is not available to you in Canada.

Instead, this is what you had said:

Quote from: rogertra on December 02, 2014, 11:51:45 AM
Quote from: jbrock27 on December 02, 2014, 07:29:09 AM
I can attest to how well 91% works...

Excellent suggestion, I'll try that next time I have to strip a body.  :)
(It's on Page 1 of this topic on 12/2/14@12:51:45 PM)

Which makes little sense bc if you can't get 91% where you are, how would you be able to try it?

I'm thoroughly confused.  :) 

I can get 91% and I can get 99%, I have a bottle of 99% in front of me now. 

Anyway, it's not important.  Use what you can get.  I'm sure 91% will work but not as quickly as 99%.

Cheers

Roger T.