News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Customizing an engine

Started by Irbricksceo, July 23, 2015, 04:52:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irbricksceo

So I wanted to kind of get a feel for what would be required to re-letter my 2-8-0's to the name I've actually given my layout. to that end I had a few questions for the more experienced among us

1. You obviously have to get the OLD lettering off, I've seen many different suggestions, what have you found works
2. What did you use for re-lettering. I've seen things like Alphabet Decal sheets, but that seems A: expensive since you wouldn't use anywhere near the whole sheet and, since the name I'm using has 3 A's and 3 S's that's a minimum of 6 per Locomotive, that's a lot of sheets. and B: Would I really have to line up each letter by eye? How does one even go about doing that.
C: I love white rim Drivers on Steam Locomotives, its not a necessity, but if it could be done, how IS it done.

For the record, the name is Passaic And Hudson.

I've Several steam locomotives but the 2-10-0 and 2-8-2 I'd want to keep in their Susquehanna Lettering as I love the NYSW and it would run in the same general area so, hey, it fits. The 4-4-0 I wouldn't be re-lettering because, to be honest, I only have it since I got it as a replacement from Bachmann. It doesn't fit with the rest of my stuff so I rarely use it. Similar though not as strong situation with my 2-8-4.  The 2-8-0's though are nice looking, good sized, locomotives that would be neat places to start. I'd likely practice on the remains of the IHC 4-6-2 I used as parts for my other 4-6-2 so its not like I'd be jumping in, and besides, I wouldnt be able to really start this for a while anyway. But for now, I wanted to get a feel for what would be needed,
Modeling NYC in N

Len

If you do the initial art work Micro-Scale, and a number of other decal makers, will do custom decals for you.

You can get more info at: http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=Custom

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Piyer

Starting with the name, you could also do "Passaic & Hudson" or "P&H" as the NYO&W did (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ea/c8/7c/eac87cfe66aa2ca26605afddd71eaa70.jpg).  As for getting the lettering straight, you use rulers and straight edges to measure and mark (lightly with a pencil) where things go. You measure up to get your base line, and you measure your length of space to work out where the center line to get things centered (end to end) on the model. Whether you are using individual letters or custom decals, go slowly and plan ahead before actually applying the decals.

I cannot offer advice on removing the lettering, as all of my experiences have involved fully stripping the old paint, or patching out the old stuff with paint (as it was intended to look patched out, no effort was made to match the paint).

White-wall drivers are done by hand with a very fine paintbrush. Paintbrush sizes are given in numbers, and by very fine I am talking about three-zeros (3-000) five-zeros (5-00000 - which is smaller than 3-000), or smaller still. It takes a very steady hand and patience - lots and lots of patience. Use a water-based - something that is easy to wipe off with a Q-tip when (not if) you get paint where you didn't want it.

I hope you find that helpful. Best of luck with the P&H!
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

ebtnut

Here is what the Bach-man said on another list:  Dear All,
The majority of our graphics are pad printed.
I have had good results with Scale Coat paint remover.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

James in FL

Check your p.m.'s for a very easy and effective way to remove pad printing without disturbing the underlying paint.
Link sent.

Good luck

rogertra

Wayne.

Excellent modelling.  Lets see some more, wider angle would be nice to get the over effect.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

Irbricksceo

Everyone, thanks for the advice. I did get that link, yes.

I'm not going to start on this just yet for many, many personal reasons, but I've learned that planning and preparing goes a long way. I hope to get around to it this fall, once the craziness has died down here.

I must say, those photos were another occasion where the talent of the modelers here truly astounds me. I'm very Impressed. I suppose I'll have to add weathering to the list of things I should really learn.

The hardest decal to find/do would almost certainly be the number boards on the Locomotive since they are so small but I suppose caution will prevail.

Thanks again for all of your assistance.
Modeling NYC in N

RAM

I would go with P & H on the cab, and big numbers on the tenders.

Irbricksceo

Wow, amazing layout there. I love the shot of the doubleheader over the river. Incredible. I'm not gonna have anything nearly so grand, I've a simple 4*8 that will have two loops, a yard, and some industry. Nothing special, spectacular, of fancy. But giving it a name does make it MINE ya know? I'm going on what I'd like to build someday when I'm a big successful engineer (I better be or I'll be wanting my tuition back :P). I've always liked the idea of a long layout between two points. One point would have a lot of industry or maybe even a track getting coal from the Appalachians  with a few towns or industrial stops along the way until the other end, a large harbor scene of sorts, akin to what Hoboken was for both the Lackawanna and the Erie (and of course the Erie Lackawanna) It is actually quite interesting how many small railroads emerged in NJ during the 1800s, most of them carrying the name of one one or two rivers (the Susquehanna and Hudson spring to mind). Though I now live in Georgia, I've often found that the area around there is more beautiful.

More important than having the most realistic layout though, to me, is to have something that makes me happy. That SY 2-8-2 that I love? I love the Locomotive, it was one of the two that I saw my grandfathers footage of as a child. The SY locomotives werent built until the 60's iirc and the Susquehanna, I believe, didn't get 142 until the late 80's or early 90's when they bought it from the valley railroad. How can I run it with older equipment? Because I want to. Thats why.

I've said this before here and I'll say it again, I've loved trains since I was two. My grandfather got me into them with his photos and stories (Getting in trouble for climbing a water tower in a yard with a friend comes to mine). It was steam Locomotives that made me want to be an Engineer. And when that Didn't pan out I settled for being a Mechanical Engineer instead.

There is no doubt that the hobby is nowhere near as ubiquitous as it was before my time. My generation is the Digital one and the newest Generation is even more-so (Seriously, Technology advances so quickly and is becoming so widespread that I, a 19 Year old, have found myself thinking about how the times are changing and how things were different when I was growing up.. How does that even happen...)

Even with the decline though, I hope to be doing this for a long, long time. Eventually sharing it with my own children, Showing them the steam locomotives that enamored me and scolding them for daring to suggest adding a DIESEL (okay, maybe thats a bit harsh). It is thanks to this kind of thing that the hobby can keep going, that people more experienced share their knowledge with those not so.

So, Thanks to all of you for all the help you've given me in the past, and the help you will no doubt give me in the future when I come in with my next big question.
Modeling NYC in N