News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Identifying a GS4

Started by lirrman, July 22, 2015, 02:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lirrman

I'm looking at a Bachmann SP Daylight GS4.  How can I tell if it's the original standard version, the PLUS version, the Spectrum version or the DCC version?  The listing just says it's a Bachmann GS4 Daylight and there is no box.

richardl

Do you see two connectors with six wires between the loco and tender. If you do, it is a DCC version.

Rich

ACY

There is no spectrum version. If it doesn't have any wires going to the tender then I would pass on it.

richardl

This is a DCC SP GS4 parts list from the Bachmann Parts page. As was said, no wires, pass.
If wires, Look at the bottom of the tender. Slim chance there is a speaker grill according to the diagram page.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66_68_154

Rich

lirrman

Thanks all.  No wires so it's either an original standard line or a Bachman Plus.  Since I'm looking at a picture can it be determined if its a standard or a plus?

richardl

Quote from: lirrman on July 22, 2015, 05:53:03 PM
Thanks all.  No wires so it's either an original standard line or a Bachman Plus.  Since I'm looking at a picture can it be determined if its a standard or a plus?

I looked at some diagrams of the 1990 models and some have traction tires. A GS4 model. Probably a standard model. Also has a pancake motor with plastic housing which you might see from underneath.
Does yours have a traction tire?

Rich

jbrock27

Are you looking at this GS4, say, on Ebay?
Keep Calm and Carry On

lirrman

Yes-but the seller identified it as a cab forward so I'm a bit suspicious. I'm going to pass on this but I was hoping to figure out a way of identifying.  Thanks for your help.

Irbricksceo

Quote from: lirrman on July 23, 2015, 10:40:14 AM
Yes-but the seller identified it as a cab forward so I'm a bit suspicious. I'm going to pass on this but I was hoping to figure out a way of identifying.  Thanks for your help.

A cab forward? Yeah, unless it was some spectacular bargain that would be worth the risk, good call on the pass.
Modeling NYC in N

richardl

Quote from: lirrman on July 23, 2015, 10:40:14 AM

A GS4 cab forward??? lol

Good pass.

Rich

the Bach-man

Dear Lawn Guyland,
Do yourself a favor: buy the newest version you can find, from a legitimate Bachmann dealer.
You'll be glad you did!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

lirrman

Had to read it twice before I got it.  Nice touch.  Lynbrook L.I. to Cincy OH.  FYI.  I have a GS4, DCC & Sound.  Backing trouble due to wires between loco and tender so I now use the PLUS version.  Thanks.