News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Cleaning oil from freight car trucks

Started by Trainman203, July 13, 2015, 06:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Quote from: Trainman203 on August 03, 2015, 09:13:09 PM
The question remains.... The best way to get the soap residue off?  Or should I just buy new wheels ?

As you have nothing to lose, toss them back into a warm soapy bath for a FEW minutes, take them out and dry them again.  Don't let them sit.

See if that works.

Otherwise, it's case of scraping the crud from the wheels with a flat jeweller's screwdriver.

Cheers

Roger T.

Len

I've had to deal with white residue on wheels that sat in a damp basement for several years. If the truck journals are clean, give them a small shot of graphite, then mount the wheels so they spin freely. Use a soft wire brush in a Dremel tool set to low speed, and touch it lightly to the wheel tread. It will take the crud off very quickly as the wheel spins. Just don't press to hard, or you'll put grooves in the tread. You can also use it on the inside of the wheel to get the crud around the axle.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

I count 4 times previously I advised the wheelsets be cleaned seperately and not soaked in water and 2 times to use a toothbrush for cleaning.

For the wheelsets I would try this, spray WD-40 on a cotton cloth/rag, enough to get the rag wet with WD-40.  Take the rag and use it to wipe the wheel treads by sticking the wheel in the soaked rag and turning. This hopefully will get the soap off and clean the tread at the same time.  When done, wipe the entire wheel set with a dry cotton cloth/rag.  For any stubborn spots that persist on the wheels/treads, I would spray some WD-40 on a clean, old toothbrush and use the bristles to get the residue off.

Even the job from hell, ends at some point.  Good luck :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

WoundedBear

This is starting to remind me of the "blinking light" thread. Just sayin'............... ::)

Sid

richardl

I have used a small ultrasonic Jewelry Cleaner. Rinse in water and then in alcohol to remove any moisture. Did this before weathering the trucks.
Really not a big deal cleaning trucks.
Good for a long conversation though. lol

Rich

jbrock27

Quote from: WoundedBear on August 04, 2015, 02:00:32 PM
This is starting to remind me of the "blinking light" thread. Just sayin'............... ::)
Sid

Hilarious Sid!  Question is, how many of us remember that?!?  I can say I do :D

Question rich: how much is one of those cleaners?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Trainman203

Final report..........

Soaked em 3 or 4 minutes in dawn detergent solution.  Took em out, toothbrushed  em.  Rinsed under running water and put em in dish of clean rinse water for a couple of minutes.  Them put in a rinse of isopropyl alcohol.  Took em out to dry. 

When dry they still had slight white crust on some of the treads and around the inside where the axle meets the wheel.  Put some  graphite in the journals, put the wheels in the trucks and rolled them back and forth on a piece of track with a paper towel moistened with goo-gone which got them clean.  Then I got some matchbook sized strip wood, wet it wth goo gone, and cleaned off the axle/wheel intersection as best I could, about 90 percent clean.

It ain't all gone but mostly is. The treads are clean, the trucks roll better than they ever did, and they are oil free.  I can paint the insides of the wheels with a black wash if they still bug me. 

Job finished, case closed.  Thanks for all the input, everyone.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On