Difficulty adding decoder to acela express

Started by hoddy4, August 09, 2015, 10:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoddy4

How difficult is it to add a dcc decoder to the acela express loco?  Is it as simple as plug play?  What decoder would you recommend?

Len

Pictures of a decoder installation in the Acela HHP-8 can be found at:

http://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/HO_Scale/Bachmann/Spectrum_Acela_HHP-8/Bachmman_Spectrum_Acela_HHP-8.html

The process is the same regardless of which manufacturers decoder is used. Just be sure it uses the short cable with an 8-pin plug on it. There's not room for anything else.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

hoddy4

Len

The Acela sets I've seen around here are already DCC equiped. That's why I thought you were refering to the HHP-8.

The socket in the set locos is towards the rear of the loco, in the pantograph area. Same type of decoder as needed for the HHP-8, short cable with 8-pin plug, as there's not enough clearance between the top of the decoder socket and shell for anything else.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jonathan

I have one of the earlier Acela express sets, and it did not come with the decoder installed.  Installing the Bachmann/Lenz decoder is a simple matter of pulling the bridge socket and plugging in the decoder.

The difficulty is removing the locomotive shell without doing damage to the shell.  If memory serves (been a long time), one needs to remove the rear curtain (plastic tabs) and the nose cowling (plastic tabs).  Then carefully spread the shell sides with toothpicks or like before lifting of the shell.  The PCB will be revealed on the top of the frame, like the HHP8.

I ruined one of the door springs and simply glued the door shut.

It is possible to install the decoder backwards.  The loco will run but the headlight won't work.  That's how you'll know the decoder is backwards.  There is a numbered indicator on the board, but it's hard to see.

Regards,

Jonathan