News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

3D printing

Started by Irbricksceo, August 12, 2015, 03:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irbricksceo

Has anybody tried 3D printing structures for a layout? I'm considering it since it would be cheaper by far than buying buildings. I'd have to actually design the buildings unless I found files somebody else had done but considering this semester one of my classes is on Drafting by hand and in AutoCAD (software), creating the files should be completely within reason.
Modeling NYC in N

richardl

Check the MRH forums. Some are doing 3D printing.

Rich

bapguy

The September issue of Model Railroader has an article on 3D printing as well.  Joe

richardl

It is being done. I just Googled, ho structures 3d.

Saw one that is an old railroad station. Afinia printer.  It is based on a station in McLean, TX

Saw cars, trucks, loco shells. Different scales.

Google should be your best friend.

Rich

Irbricksceo

mhm. I don't know if it would be cheaper than scratch-building (though I lack the skill to do that anyway) But it is most definitely cheaper than kits. Of course it all depends on how you do it, it is much cheaper to print pieces and assemble than it is to print the whole thing at once. It is also cheaper to print, say, two 4"*2" walls than one 8"*2"
Modeling NYC in N

richardl

Some like the challenge and technology is always changing.

Google the subject if really interested in what is happening in the field.

Many videos about 3D printing on You Tube.

Being discussed with pictures and links in the MRH forums.

Seeing a lot on this technology and prices do come down eventually like anything else today. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Rich

electrical whiz kid

If you have both the available time as well as funds, knock yourself out. It is your hobby to do with as you see fit.
Scratch-building/bashing/cross-kitting  can be a great part of this hobby-and in some ways, a hobby unto themselves.
Some lack the time and/or talent. 
Personally, I get a gigantic kick out of scratch-building, "modification", and even making something-"an abstraction"-might be a good way of putting it- from the finished product of someone else.  Part of that 'kick' comes from the sense of independence that one gets from doing this type of thing on a more or less regular basis, that sets you apart from the sane folks..
Because, I suppose, of it's new-ness, I am "let's wait and see" about the "three-D' business.  Let's see what happens.

Rich C.