News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-8-8-4 Light board / Decoder

Started by loadsalot39, August 17, 2015, 05:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loadsalot39

Ok Folks, I purchased a B&O 2-8-8-4 from my friend KNOWING that the decoder / light board was faulty! He purchased the unit new back in 09'10 sometime and he did in fact damage to stock decoder / light board. That all said, I am replacing the bad circuit with a Soundtraxx Tsunami TSU-1000 (it may be a TSU-G1000, I'm not in front of the new decoder and forget the exact model) and have just about finished but am suffering from brainfarts, specifically what do the V+ / V- lines feed to / from on the stock decoder and which lines do I connect to the on the Soundtraxx unit?

Help is GREATLY appreciated.
Lon

richardl

Welcome.

There is no V+ or V- for DCC. Just right and left rails. DCC is a form of AC.

What is a TSU-G1000 decoder? I have not found it at the SoundTraxx site so far.

Below is a link for the Bachmann 21 pin from Bachmann UK which should be ok. Others should comment.

You could verify with an ohm meter.

http://www.bachmann.co.uk/pdfs/21pin_plug_wiring_diagram-1.pdf

I assume you have ripped out the present decoder. Bachmann does sell the decoder and sound module.

Try to check language before posting.

Rich

loadsalot39

Hi Rich
         Thanks for the input I will try and use proper language this time. The TSU-1000 (Not  TSU-G1000 as I said I thought it might have been) is a Soundtraxx Tsunami Digital Sound Recorder which I am in the process of replacing for the faulty Bachmann light board / DCC decoder. I have the diagram already that you offered up for reference and it too lists the U+ (looks like a V+ too me?) for line #16, except the actual light board / DCC decoder actually has; in two (2) separate locations, a V+ (or U+)marking / connection ? I just cannot determine what these V+= or U+ control?

I am extremely interested in how you can verify a board with an OHM meter, I am not the electric guru but I am not afraid to try either so if you would, please instruct!

Anyway, I considered changing back to the factory decoder, etc. but I am not a Bachmann fan so...

richardl

Ok, cannot do anymore as I don't have this loco. One fellow here does.
All I know about this loco is there is a "decoder" for lights and motor. A "sound module" plugs into that decoder.

The decoder. The sound module plugs into the 21 pins.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_616&products_id=7618

I am guessing the V+ and V- is voltage to the "sound module".

Have not heard of anyone damaging one.

Try searching the HO forum for EM-1 Jonathan. He has one.

Rich

ACY

I have one as well, however all I did was install the Bachmann provided sound module and have not messed around with it too much otherwise as I haven't had the time unfortunately. However, with that said Jonathan is much more knowledgeable than myself in this department so hopefully he can be of some assistance.

richardl

Take a look at the below link. Right click on the photo and select, View Image. Just clicking on the photo might enlarge it.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_616&products_id=6432

That is the tender with no decoder board. You would have to solder splice all the TSU-1000 leads to those leads.
I am sure Jonathan will know.

Rich

jonathan

I have been looking over my photos of the "stock decoder" and don't see the "V+/-" markings.  Could be a bad photo. On the tender and locomotive PCBs, I see "M" to indicate motor leads and "L" or "LD" to indicate light lead inputs.  In most cases, the tabs for tender and locomotive pick up (power pick ups) are not marked, but you will notice they are black wires connected with pressure plugs.  You will have to trace the wires to find out if they are right, or left, (+/-) pick up wires.

If it were me... I would stick with the stock decoder and go with the sound module which is purchased separately.  I have had no problems with these items.  The sound is good and the locomotive runs very, very smoothly.  I have cranked it down to 2smph (scale miles per hour).

The chuff rate is slow, and the whistle is not correct, but let's not reopen that can of worms.  No manufacture carries the steamboat-style, single chime hooter whistle that is correct for the EM-1.  Otherwise the stock sounds are as good as anyone else carries (opinion).

I have been running my two EM-1s (with sound) at train shows for a few years now.  I have had no issues that are locomotive related.  Be aware these are big locos.  While they can negotiate down to 22" radius curves, the cab swing is substantial.  Our club's modular layout uses 30" and 33" radius curves on the corners.  Still I need to keep a watchful eye, if someone is running passenger trains and we meet on a curve.

Regards.

Jonathan

Addendum:  search my name and EM-1 on the HO forum.  I have a lengthy thread of posts concerning the EM-1.  There are many photos and instructions how to disassemble as needed. jv