BNSF sd40-2 dcc on a non dcc track

Started by Freon12, August 24, 2015, 07:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freon12

I'm new to the world of dcc. I just bought my kids a #1692 BNSF sd40-2-dcc. We have the santa fe starter kit with the standard controller. It claims to be 100% backwards compatible but it will only run backwards intermittently. Is there a switch to make it operate on this system?

richardl

Welcome.

By the way, there is a HO forum, but this will probably be moved to the forum.

If really interested in Bachmann trains, there is loads of info at this site. Take time to look around all the different pages.

There might be a issue with dirty track or track connections for intermittent operation.
Looking new might not mean clean.  
Did you try the direction switch? Sounds simple but did not see you mention that switch. Could be a decoder issue also if the loco runs only in one direction with the direction switch moved.
The decoder determines DC or DCC and normally works ok but you have to turn the control up higher than usual.
Some Bachmann locos use plastic clips where the wires connect to the PC board but the diagram for this loco did not show the wires or clips for the loco on the PC board. Those clips are not always reliable. Some remove them and solder the connections.

Rich