News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bus & Jumper Wires

Started by Jack TS, September 01, 2015, 10:17:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack TS

I am new hobbyist returning after 50 years. A lot has changed. I got a book by David Popp who talks of installing bus wires and jumper wires to track. I see the benefit of pre-wiring to use for switches and scenery but wonder if I need to connect jumper wires to the track as he suggests in addition to my main power feed? I only have about 40 feet of HO track.
Any thoughts are appreciated.
Jack

jonathan

Welcome Jack.

I don't remember where, but I read once adding jumpers every 10 feet is a good rule of thumb.  Soldering rail joiner connections is also a very good idea. 

The more you use your layout, dirt and corrosion will work its way into the track, causing electrical problems down the road. For long-term use of the layout, the extra work upfront will reap benefits in the future.

All that soldering seems a little daunting at first, but it doesn't take long to get competent at the task.  I found, eventually, that I even enjoyed the task.

Regards,

Jonathan

Jack TS

Thanks. I will include it in my set up.

Hunt

To be sure we have the same thing in mind.  Best not to use feeder wire and jumper wire as interchangeable terms. In general, feeder wire is run from the bus wire to rail, jumper wire is run from rail to rail. David Popp uses this distinction in his book Building a Model Railroad Step by Step.

The rule of thumb Jonathan mentioned is, adding jumpers feeders every 10 feet.

Len

Also, if you solder your rail joiners, DO NOT solder the joiners connecting to switches. You want to be able to slide them back to allow easy removal of the switch for maintainence, replacement, etc. This may involve trimming off a 'spike' or two on connecting rails to allow this.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Hunt

An aside --

It is common to see switch used when what is being referred to is technically a turnout. Switch is a component of a turnout**.

** reference any technically accurate Railroad/Railway Civil Engineering text

Hunt

Jack TS,
Your track plan without changes and how equipment is powered (DC or DCC) will dictate the minimum wiring you may get away with doing. 

Len

Quote from: Hunt on September 01, 2015, 01:35:49 PM
An aside --

It is common to see switch used when what is being referred to is technically a turnout. Switch is a component of a turnout**.

** reference any technically accurate Railroad/Railway Civil Engineering text

I wrote the Railroad Civil Engineer book for my railroad, and on my railroad the whole thing is a switch. Unless I feel like calling it a turnout, which takes more letters to type than switch.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

regarding the use of rail-to rail jumpers as mentioned by hunt:

many brands of switches rely only on the point rails to conduct track power through the switch. this often causes problems, as switchpoints usually get dirty and lose contact over time. for this reason, it is best to jumper around them to eliminate the contact problem. the usual procedure is to solder the jumpers between the rails of the straight and curved routes, left rail to left rail, and right rail to right rail. it is advisable to get yourself a package of alligator clip type jumpers from an auto parts store or radio shack, and use these as temporary jumpers to test your connections for short circuits before you solder in any permanent wiring.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jack TS

Jack TS