News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dcc ready turntable power

Started by pjrhodes, July 20, 2015, 07:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjrhodes

I purchased a new  turntable. I want to connect it to a dcc layout. I will have powered track coming in at position #4, but I want to use the supplied direction switch that comes with the turntable. There will not be a dcc decoder in the motor house. How do I connect the plug end of the control switch. Do I use track power from the track power bus or do I use 16 vac from the accessory terminal block that powers my turnout switches. It looks like it runs on track power if I was using the dcc decoder. I have an nce power cab for dcc track power and engine control. This would apply to n scale or ho scale new dcc ready turntables.

pjrhodes

I have decided to go with dcc to control the turntable. I have ordered the bachmann dcc decoder to install in the turntable.

Len

Quote from: rogertra on July 20, 2015, 08:50:22 PM
This is an N scale question and should be asked in the n scale forum.

Mr. B will probably move it anyway

Nah. Based on the last line of the OP, it's a generic question:

QuoteThis would apply to n scale or ho scale new dcc ready turntables.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

rogertra

Quote from: Len on July 30, 2015, 12:41:04 PM
Quote from: rogertra on July 20, 2015, 08:50:22 PM
This is an N scale question and should be asked in the n scale forum.

Mr. B will probably move it anyway

Nah. Based on the last line of the OP, it's a generic question:

QuoteThis would apply to n scale or ho scale new dcc ready turntables.

Len

Yeppers, Agreed Len so I deleted it.  :) 

Cheers

Roger T.

Derek

Hello,  I have also just bought and installed a Bachmann turntable, which I am really enjoying.
I have left the factory-fitted decoder in it and am using the supplied switch to move the turntable.
My layout is DCC.
However, I notice that, when the turntable is turning, and is between the in/out tracks, there is no power to the turntable track, so the lights and sound on the loco go off until it reaches the next in/out track.
Is it designed like this?
Would it be different if I put a DCC decoder into it?

Many thanks,

Derek
New Zealand

Wwidmaier

I have the same situation;  my turntable has no power when on the in out track.  It does have power on the other tracks.  My turntable is DC;  not DCC.  Do I have it set up wrong, or is this the way it is supposed to operate or is it malfunctioning?

thanks

Bob W ???

Derek

Do you have your in/out track at road 4?  That is the only one that will connect to the rest of your layout.

Cheers,

Derek

Wwidmaier

Hi Derek,

Yes, I have the turntable track #4 counting clockwise from the shed connected to the layout.  This track has power - runs locos and has correct voltage as measured with Tony's RRAMP meter.  The other turntable tracks have power but the turntable does not.   ???  Does your turntable have power?  The Turntable motor is powered by DC whereas the track is DCC for locos.

Bob

Derek

Yes my turntable has power.  The tracks off the turntable (apart from track 4) only have power when the turntable is aligned with them.

I run the turntable with the supplied switch from a DC controller, and the track is DCC, but this should not matter.

Perhaps your turntable is faulty.

Derek

RAM

This is just a guess on my part, but it sounds like the turntable is not powered.  It gets it power when it is lined up on a track.  This way the locomotive will not run unless it is lined up with a track.

Wwidmaier

:) OK thanks  - I commited  cockpit error - I did not have the tracks lined up exactly when turning the turntable to track 4 -  track not making good contact - now the turntable power and power on all tracks are operating correctly.

Bob W.