Add smoke unit to Spectrum West MD 2-8-0

Started by baltotrain22, August 28, 2015, 11:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baltotrain22

Hi all, I just found at s a DC Spectrum Western Maryland 2-8-0 #763 at an estate sale. It runs great but I would like to add a smoke unit. Is this possible? If so, which one(s) would work? I haven't opened it up yet to look. I don't want to tinker with it if I don't have to. The schematic leads me to think that it isn't, though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

ACY

I am assuming this is HO.
1. Yes it is possible to add a smoke unit, however it is highly inadvisable to do so in my opinion.
2. Bachmann probably has them available in their parts department but they would be made to fit the 0-6-0/2-6-0/2-6-2.

If you want a locomotive with smoke for the purposes of entertaining a youngster then I suggest you purchase a Bachmann 0-6-0 with smoke, it will cost about $40. If you want smoke for yourself then you will have to justify spending close to a thousand dollars to get a locomotive with realistic smoke. Or another route that Len often suggests is to buy an American Flyer HO locomotive on ebay or a train show, specifically one with a smoke unit.

Personally myself I would advise against installing smoke in your consolidation because it would not be an easy task for someone without a lot of experience and on top of that it will leave a oil film on the track that attracts dirt which leads to poor conductivity and thus poor locomotive performance. Not to mention the smoke unit will burn out rather quickly if you forget to add smoke one time.

Len

That's why I generally recommend the American Flyer HO loco with smoke, they don't burn out if they run dry as long as the track voltage is 12V or less. Plus they make a neat "chuff" sound the kids like, with no electronics involved.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.