Spectrum Southern HO 4-4-0 steam locomotive

Started by lonestarman, August 30, 2015, 11:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lonestarman

I'm going to ask this even though it's probably a simple and perhaps a silly question -- Why is my engine refusing to run? Now first let me say I haven't run it in a while. Say, several weeks, more than a month. Also I'm using analog to run it. When I turn on the power pack, (do they still call them that?) the head light comes on and blinks for a while then stops. Depending on how high I have the throttle up, it may stay on for a while longer. There is no sound of any kind and in the past I at least got that when I started it up.
   Here's the exact model number so you guys will know the engine I'm talking about. this is the info right off the box -- "HO" Baldwin Modern 4-4-0 Loco (DCC sound), Southern, #3858.
     Suggestions appreciated. It may be a matter of lubrication or cleaning the track. If it's lubrication then I'm going to need to consult the diagram of the locomotive since I'm not exactly a seasoned hobbyist when it comes to maintenance .
    Thanks for your time and attention. ???

Hunt

What DC power pack are you using?

Advise the number of time the headlight flashes before it repasts the pattern.

Hunt

Correction -

Advise the number of time the headlight flashes before it repasts repeats the pattern.

lonestarman

Well, I was just watching the locomotive after I read your e-mail response and I counted 10 times and then there was a brief moment and then it started up again. I'm using Railpower 1370 for my power source.
   Thanks for your prompt response. I did go ahead and clean the tracks but it didn't seem to make much of a difference.

Hunt

Error 10 - Over voltage fault
An Over-voltage fault indicates that the track voltage is greater than 22
volts. When this error occurs, motor control and sound will be shut off
and the error code will continue to flash until the voltage is brought below
22 Volts.

Call SoundTraxx  about any known issues using MRC Railpower 1370

BTW -- Be sure track is connected to DC not the AC outputs on the power pack.

Trainman203

May not be affecting you, but Bachmann steam engines always need cleaning of EVERY electrical contact point ...... The phosphor bronze wipers against the driver tires, the inside of the driver tires that the wipers contact, the phosphor bronze  wipers for the tender trucks at both the axle and bolster contact points, and such. Especially if you don't run the engine much.  I blow out the area behind the drivers with air pretty often and it's amazing what kind of dust balls can come out.

lonestarman

Thanks for the info.Well, I win dummy of the day. I did in fact have the wires for AC accessories plugged into the track and vice versa with DC. I've corrected that and now it looks like the engine may run. Or at least it makes chugging sounds and moves in kind of jerky motion and it's trying to run. I'm hoping eventually it will lock in and after a few spins around the track be back to normal.
  In light of all this I'm thinking maybe I should break down and get a DCC controller. Any suggestions? Mine is a one locomotive layout on a 4 x4 board so I don't a real expensive controller.

richardl

Quote from: lonestarman on August 31, 2015, 06:10:46 PM
   Thanks for the info.Well, I win dummy of the day. I did in fact have the wires for AC accessories plugged into the track and vice versa with DC. I've corrected that and now it looks like the engine may run. Or at least it makes chugging sounds and moves in kind of jerky motion and it's trying to run. I'm hoping eventually it will lock in and after a few spins around the track be back to normal.
  In light of all this I'm thinking maybe I should break down and get a DCC controller. Any suggestions? Mine is a one locomotive layout on a 4 x4 board so I don't a real expensive controller.

Track might need cleaning. Also, the power pack needs to be turned up higher than when using a DC only loco which I am sure you know. Might help to clean the drivers/wheels and the wipers on the tender trucks.

Rich

lonestarman

Happily it's running again and so I guess it was just sluggish. At least that's what I'll chalk it up to. Thanks for the suggestions, guys. ;D

Trainman203

Bachmann makes some good entry level DCC  units.  I had EZ command for about a year but eventually moved on to another more involved system that let me manipulate CV's.

lonestarman

Thanks, I look into the EZ. I don't require a lot but I'm thinking I'm certainly not getting the most out of my loco using analog.

richardl

If you are not afraid of using Ebay, about $50 for EZ Command and about $150 for the Dynamis. Quite a lot more at other online stores.

The Favorite Spot, a good Bachmann seller has both for somewhat more.

I have used both quite a few times.

Rich

Trainman203

Once you have full command of your sound with DCC, you will never go back.