News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

1990's (?) Bachmann 4-8-4

Started by Penn1974, September 06, 2015, 01:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn1974

I found a Bachmann 4-8-4 numbered 6005 from a packed away box when my kids were young. I think it is from the 1990's and tried running it. It ran good for a few days and actually still smoked. Then the drive gear locked up and will not move. I tried googling the loco to find a parts list or an instruction manual to troubleshoot or disassemble and had no luck. I tried Bachmanns web site and had no luck. Any help?

Jerrys HO

Try this site, look in the center top column under steam.....
http://hoseeker.com/bachmann.html
Likely the Niagra....
http://hoseeker.com/assemblyexplosionbachmann/bachmann484niagaradiagram1990.jpg

Penn1974

I saw that loco on that website when I was looking for a breakdown of a GG1 that I also have. The picture in the diagram shows deflectors on the front of the boiler that my unit does not have on it. Are they interchangeable and could not find a disassembly guide.

ACY

Suggestion: Purchase a brand new model
Unfortunately the older Plus models of the early 1990's just don't match the quality of the current product offerings.
Most likely the time, effort and cost of repair would not be justifiable and at that point you are better off with a brand new locomotive. It is very possible that no parts are available or that you would have to buy a whole locomotive for parts only for something else to fail or even the same issue to reoccur. The older plus 4-8-4's were not known for their reliability. The newer models run much better and will last a lot longer in my experience.

richardl

Yeah, that is the old pancake motor and just not worth restoring. If they ran, they had to run fast.
Take a look at the diagrams of the present version and you will see the difference. Much better motor, gearing and pickups for power from the rails.

Rich

jbrock27

Quote from: ACY on September 08, 2015, 08:02:45 PM
Unfortunately the older Plus models of the early 1990's just don't match the quality of the current product offerings.

If this blanket statement pertains to diesels I have to respectfully disagree.  My Plus F7s and a GP35 I have run better than a more  current analog FTA version I have.

I do agree that if this has a pancake motor, it is not worth the time or $$ investment.  I can say with certainty that would be MY advice re: anything with a pancake motor ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

ACY

Quote from: jbrock27 on September 08, 2015, 08:30:22 PM
If this blanket statement pertains to diesels I have to respectfully disagree.  My Plus F7s and a GP35 I have run better than a more  current analog FTA version I have.
Sorry, I was referencing the Bachmann Plus 4-8-4's, I was not speaking about any other Plus models in that particular post. Again, my apologies, I was not very clear in what I was referencing.

jbrock27

S'all right ACE ;)  It makes perfect sense you would be referring to 4-8-4s in this topic.  Just wanted to be sure.
Keep Calm and Carry On