News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Decoder for Menaho 4-6-2 dcc ready ?

Started by firebuff1, October 08, 2015, 12:22:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firebuff1

Can  any body tell me what decoder I need for my Menaho  4-6-2 Pacific which is supposed to be DCC ready .
And how hard is to hook up . I know that most other engines are practically plug and play .
But was wondering about Menaho ?

rogertra

Quote from: firebuff1 on October 08, 2015, 12:22:40 AM
Can  any body tell me what decoder I need for my Menaho  4-6-2 Pacific which is supposed to be DCC ready .
And how hard is to hook up . I know that most other engines are practically plug and play .

This is a Bachmann board and Bachmann do not sell decoders.

If it's DCC ready, then I'd guess it's plug and play.

I'd suggest you check out decoder manufacturers web sites and see which of the decoders they manufacture is suggested for your engine.

Cheers

Roger T.

Len

Actually, Bachmann does sell decoders. If your loco is DCC Ready, and has an 8-pin socket, this should work:

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_217&products_id=5783&zenid=h8m10mfn5nbeoklji9n5am30u0

There are a lot more decoders listed in the parts section, search using 'decoder'. Most are for specific Bachmann locos, but in some cases can be modified to work with other manufacturers equipment.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Irbricksceo

I put one of Bachmann's basic decoders in an IHC pacific. I had to hardwire it though, they sell them with and without 8 pin plugs
Modeling NYC in N

ACY

Last I knew Bachmann's decoders were made through a partnership with Lenz, whether this is still the case I don't know. Bachmann definitely still makes decoders regardless of the arrangement.

Edit: Fixed spelling of Lenz which was changed by auto correct on my phone.

richardl

Quote from: firebuff1 on October 08, 2015, 12:22:40 AM
Can  any body tell me what decoder I need for my Menaho  4-6-2 Pacific which is supposed to be DCC ready .

Welcome.

Does the box say DCC ready?

There would have to be six wires between the loco and tender, well, at least the Bachmann steamers have six wires. I do not have any other brand of DCC equipped steamers.

Have you opened the tender? You are going to have to anyway so do it now.

It would help by posting a photo of the open tender here in case no one has seen this particular loco. You will need a Photo Bucket account to do this. Scroll down to General Questions for instructions on how to do this. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Some brands of locos that are DCC ready have the motor isolated from the pick-ups and might or might not have a 8 pin NMRA or 9 Pin Jst connector. Right now, I am suspecting you might see a PC board with an eight pin socket.

There are some good non sound decoders that are not much larger than a US dime with or without plugs.

Rich

Len

If it's DCC Ready there will be a wiring harness with a flat white plug on the end coming from the tender that looks like this:

http://www.ihc-hobby.com/product/T00961

The decoder gets installed in the tender, very easy to do. Actually, it's fairly easy to install hardwire decoders in older IHC locos too.

Len

richardl

Quote from: Len on October 08, 2015, 06:14:18 PM
If it's DCC Ready there will be a wiring harness with a flat white plug on the end coming from the tender that looks like this:

The decoder gets installed in the tender, very easy to do. Actually, it's fairly easy to install hardwire decoders in older IHC locos too.

Len

Not a very good picture but I suspect it is a 9 pin JST connector. A fairly common decoder connector. My Roundhouse DCC ready had the same flat white connector as does some of my Tsunami shrink wrapped decoders.

Rich

rogertra

Quote from: Len on October 08, 2015, 02:11:21 AM
Actually, Bachmann does sell decoders. If your loco is DCC Ready, and has an 8-pin socket, this should work:

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_217&products_id=5783&zenid=h8m10mfn5nbeoklji9n5am30u0

Len

Thanks Len.

Last I heard they didn't sell them so that's good news.  :) 

Cheers

Roger T.

Len

Quote from: richardl on October 08, 2015, 08:00:35 PM
Quote from: Len on October 08, 2015, 06:14:18 PM

Len

Not a very good picture but I suspect it is a 9 pin JST connector. A fairly common decoder connector. My Roundhouse DCC ready had the same flat white connector as does some of my Tsunami shrink wrapped decoders.

Rich

That's the tender to loco cable for the IHC DCC Ready locos. The actual decoder socket is an 8-pin inside the tender.

Len