News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Need new track

Started by nana123, October 18, 2015, 02:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nana123

Hi all, I am new here. I purchased a Bachman G scale White Christmas Express from a Goodwill Store and when I got it home and took it out of the box, to my surprise there is no track. It looked so complete in the box-never dreamed someone would do that. Oh well, live and learn. Now I need to move on and try to replace the track. Box says 14' oval track. Can I purchase any G scale track or do I need something more specific? Anyone know what this is going to cost me? This "bargain" may turn out to be expensive after all. The set looks unused, very clean, all parts (almost). I just downloaded set up guide from this site. Thanks so much.

Ted Yarbrough

Nana123,
Look on back of foam container. Track is placed there most of the time. Yes, you may use any brand of g-scale track. Bachmann's set track is a hollow pressed metal and will not hold up outside. Bachmann makes a brass track that will work indoors or outdoors, as will most other brands of track.
Happy Rails To You,
Ted

Chuck N

My suggestion is to think about how, where and when you will run your new train.  Will it be a perminant, indoors or outside, setup, or just a couple of weeks under the Christmas tree,

Your 14' of track would have had a circle of curved track with a diameter of 4' and 10' of straight track.  Your oval would be about 9' long and 4' wide.

This is fine for occasional running under a Christmastree, but curves that tight add significantly to the wear and tear on the engine, cars, and track.

If you can't find the track in the back of the box and have to buy some, I'd recommend a minimum curves of 5' diameter of if you have the space 8' diameter.  With larger curves your train will the look better and increase  life span of your set.

Chuck

nana123

Thanks for the responses. I did look on the back of the styrofom for the track when I took it out, no track there either. I plan to use it just for holidays, indoors. I live in Ohio where the winter wouldn't be good fr an outdoor train. Is there some way I can test it to make sure it is working before I start spending more money on it? Do you have an idea what the replacement track might cost? Is it safe to buy used? I'm leery now of buying used.

Chuck N

Nana

Since you are going to use it indoors on a seasonal basis, I think that the track that was supposed to come with your set would work.  That is Bachmann steel tublar track is fine.  You will need 12 pieces of curved track and 10 pieces of straight to make up,the 14' of track you mentioned.

Since this track is not usable outdoors, there is a lot laying around.  Check EBay for Bachmann track.

Chuck