News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

I Need Help!

Started by jbwilcox, October 14, 2015, 10:55:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbwilcox

I have a Bachmann On30 4-6-0 engine. 

I am building a layout using a combination of Peco code 83 HO Switches and Micro Engineering code 83 Flex Track.

My question is:  Can my engine negotiate a Peco code 83 # 4 turnout without derailing?  I have found out that by hooking the tender in the second hole this engine will run on 16 inch radius track.

If it will not operate on # 4 turnouts, how about #5?

Thanks in advance.

ebtnut

If it goes around a 16" curve, it will certainlty negotiate a #4 turnout. 

jbwilcox

Hey,  Thanks.

That takes a lot of worry off my mind.  I would hate to invest in a lot of switches and not have them work.

My main problem is that ME On30 track is very limited in turnouts.  I think they have #5's but no "Wye" and no crossings.

I have at least one spot where I want to put in a "Wye" to turn my trains around.

I hope anybody else with some knowledge will jump in here and give some additional advice, hopefully from their experiences in designing their railroads.

ebtnut

Here is something to consider - On30 is the same as HO.  You can therefore use HO track components for special needs.  Atlas makes compromise rail joiners that connect Code 83 to Code 100 track, ane Walthers lists them.  So if there is a component you need, like a crossing or a wye, you can drop that in.  Now, the ties on the HO stuff won't match the ME, but you can either just overlook that, or bury those ties in ballast.  The differential between Code 83 and Code 100, especially in On30 should not be noticeable.  FWIW, the prototype sometimes used heavier rail for such "special work" to reduce maintenance.