Install a sound decoder to Bachmann Spectrum HO 4-4-0 Light Steam Locomotive

Started by grego, October 17, 2015, 02:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grego

I need detailed instructions for installing a SoundTraxx TSU - 1000 sound decoder in the tender of my DCC Equipped Bachmann Spectrum HO scale 4-4-0 light

steam locomotive (DCC Equipped only w/o sound). Before I purchase the decoder I want to be clearer on the degree of difficulty I might face in making

connections with existing components within the tender and the new components that come with the kit.

richardl

I have a couple of these. Not enough room for a TSU-1000. The Micro is suggested. Barely enough room for a Micro. I would use the new Econami and a 28mm speaker. Little smaller than the Micro and not heat sensitive like the Micro though I never experienced any heat issues with my Micro.
Look at the SoundTraxx site about the new decoder and the older decoders. The older ones are about ten year old technology.
There is a possibility you might be able to plug in the Econami to the PC board. If you do, cut the caps on the PC board.
I hard wired mine by removing the PC board and using a 1k, 1/4 watt resistor for the headlight.
If you hard wire, trace and label the wires. Last I knew, Bachmann does not use NMAR colors for wires.
Below you can see what the onboard sound looks like. The decoder plugs into the PC board but Bachmann does not sell the sound decoder. Very similar to my small driver 4-6-0 with with onboard sound, about same size tender.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/HO_440_DCC_with_sound-tender.pdf

Rich

ACY

If you have to ask about the difficulty of this installation which the steps of which are fairly straightforward then my advice to you is to simply buy a Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0 that comes with a factory installed sound decoder. Many shops have them available for anywhere from $150-200, which is very reasonable in my opinion and would avoid the possibility of any mistakes. Many people are not careful and damage a $100-$150 sound decoder which is easily avoidable.

richardl

The Favorite Spot seems to have this loco with sound. $171.

I sent you a PM about this project with a different brand of sound decoder and still will not be plug and play.
"Might" be easier than my method.

Rich