News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Modified USRA 0-6-0

Started by RGW, October 30, 2015, 09:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGW

Here is my Bachmann USRA 0-6-0 that I modified. I added detailing to the cylinders and a different  air pump. I filled down the inside of the boiler shell above the motor brush,this lets the shell sit level on the chassis (now there is a new shorter motor so this will but unnecessary on new releases) I also added a short spectrum tender with the old Atlas 0-8-0 tender shell.

Bachmann is there any plans on adding a spectrum tender to the USRA 0-6-0s ?

gatrhumpy

Very nice! That runs nice and smooth!

RGW

Thanks to spookshow's site  I modified the spectrum tender to allow the draw bar to connect to the engine. Look under Bachmann 0-6-0 on his locomotive encyclopedia.

James in FL

Looks great RGW.

I added Spectrum tenders to both my 2-6-2 and 0-6-0's and they run like different engines, so nice and smooth.
I used a short for the 2-6-2 and a slope back for the 0-6-0.
The slope back does not require any grinding of the frame, like the short does.
While I had the lokie shells off I gave them both a good degreasing and lube, also cleaned the commutators, what a difference that made.

I would recommend this conversion to all who own these little lokies.
This is modeling 101, if you don't think you have any skills for this, try it, it's very simple to do.
You can cut your teeth on these two, the design is so simple and straight forward.
I would surmise for many of us, myself included, this is where our first complete disassembly's of steam lokies started.
IMO, there are no better lokies to learn basic skills from.
These two will be painted and decaled into COG.
I'm working mating a Spectrum medium frame with a GS-4 body, so far, so good, but my modeling time has been severely compromised as of late.
The build is posted on another forum, I do not think Bachmann would appreciate me posting that link.
The thread for the Spectrum tender to the 2-6-2 is also there.
PM if you're interested.

Thanks for posting that vid, it's fun to watch how well they can run.

RGW

I have added Bachmann spectrum tenders to many nonBachmann engines. You are right it is the best fast way to improve performance of steam with  nonpick up / poor electrical pick up tenders.

What is great is that  Bachmann sells the tenders separately.

brokemoto

Miranda's Maxim as explained by ke:  The poor performance of many N scale steam locomotives is almost always directly attributable to poor electrical contact.

I have seen this maxim hold true again and again.

The SPECTRUM series of all wheels live tenders as well as the Kato USRA standard have helped many an N scale locomotive.  These tenders have turned more than one loser into a real winner.  In addition, they have turned more than one mediocre locomotive into a good locomotive.