News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Scored an EM-1, but...

Started by Len, November 08, 2015, 02:08:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len

Went by the annual train show being held at the Fair Grounds this weekend and picked up a "non-functional" EM-1 for $40.00. The guy selling it got it "As Is" off The Bay for a price he should have realized was too good to be true. I popped the top on the tender and found the PC board and speaker were missing, just wires hanging. A quick check with the 9V battery I always bring along to check things showed the mechanism worked fine, so I scarfed it up.

Now I have to decide, do I order a replacedment speaker, DC board, and sound module? Or should I just drop in a Tsunami TSU-1000 Heavy Steam Digital Sound Decoder and speaker I've already got? Recommendations or suggestions??

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

On another topic recently, I posted that I have read a lot about people using cell phone speakers.  I asked if anyone had success with this but as per usual, no one responded.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

I have no idea if that would work or not. I still have a small stock pile of decoders and speakers from my repair shop, so haven't had any reason to try. As long as it will fit the loco, and the impedance rating of the speaker is within the allowable range of the decoder,  I can't see any reason it wouldn't work.

What I'm curious about is whether there's any special reason to order replacement parts from Bachmann vs using what I've already got on hand. E.g., is the sound module specific to the EM-1, or a "generic" heavy steam Tsunami TSU-1000?

Len

jbrock27

Thanks for the reply, but if you have spare speakers, what prompted you to consider having to order a new one?  Your sound module question, I can understand, but how would that be effected by one speaker or another, when the speaker is that small?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

It looks like the Bachmann speaker comes already enclosed, and sized for mounting in that specific tender. Which would save a bit of extra work getting a replacement set up. Whatever I decide on the sound decoder, I'll probably order a speaker assembly and mounting hardware, just to avoid extra hassle.

I guess what I'm really interested in, is whether the sound module from Bachmann has feature peculiar to the EM-1 that a Tsunami TSU-1000 wouldn't have??

Len

J3a-614

Only $40 for an EM-1 that would run on straight DC?  Lucky dog, lucky dog, woof, woof woof!

As far as I know based on past reading, the Bachmann decoder is actually a sort of "economy" job, but the principle difference is that it may have only three whistles on it, or may not have certain other sounds.  I would certainly use a standard decoder and appropriate gear and wiring for what you want to do.

Lucky dog, lucky dog. . .

Hunt

Most advanced modelers in the model railroad community in my part of the world interested in the Bachmann HO B&O EM-1 have replaced the Bachmann factory installed decoder.

If you use what you have, the Tsunami TSU-1000 Heavy Steam  -- it does not have a B&O whistle. The Bachmann EM-1 sound add-on module does, but not the correct Nathan. You will need to configure the motor control, exhaust control (especially CV 112), and lighting CVs. Set up an oval of track and use Programming On The Main (Operations [OPS] Mode) Programming Mode to configure the CVs.  Too time consuming and error prone to use Programming Track to do this particularly the motor control CVs.

Check the gauge of the Tender wheels; have seen a few out of gauge.

Have fun!

GN.2-6-8-0

I have the EM1 with the factory sound module installed,I I were you I would go with the Tsunami sound decoder with a hi bass speaker. You would then have a full Tsunami with all options and the correct whistle ( hooter) .or as close as you'll get!
Rocky Lives

Len

Thanks for the info, I'll use the Tsunami I already have. I use the JMRI software for programming, so the CV setup shouldn't be a problem. Thanks again.

Len