News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DC to DCC

Started by rtb, November 08, 2015, 01:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtb

I use the E-Z track system with turnouts, crossovers and one wye.  I have plugged in the polarity connector on the bottom of the switches etc., and need to know what will happen when I run two trains that are DC, will they short out?  Also can I run more than one DCC train on a DC layout.

Thanks
RTB

RAM

The answer is yes, yes and if, if.  You can run more than one dc powered locomotives on you layout if it is wired correctly.  Put them on and give them a try.  If they short out it is because the something is not wired correctly.  If you have DCC locomotive that will run on DC then you can run more than one.  Now on a DC layout in order to be able to control your locomotives you must have a block system with a power supply for each locomotive that will be running at the same time.. 

jbrock27

Quote from: RAM on November 08, 2015, 04:33:01 PM
...in order to be able to control your locomotives you must have a block system with a power supply for each locomotive that will be running at the same time..

Only if you want to control each locomotive independently, while running them at the same time, otherwise you can run (consist) 2 locos together at the same time, using only 1 DC power supply to control them (if it is a good supply, such as one made by MRC).
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

to clarify what the others have said.

if you only have the two wires connected directly from the power pack to the track, you can run as many dc locomotives as the pack's current rating can handle. they will, however, all move in the same direction at similar speeds. the same goes with dcc locomotives on a dc system, with one difference. due to the dcc decoder's circuitry, the dcc locomotives will not start to move until about half throttle, and they will run sluggish compared to a dc locomotive.

to independently control dc locomotives requires more sophisticated wiring and dividing your track into electrically isolated sections called blocks. google block control wiring for further info.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

Quote from: jward on November 09, 2015, 09:59:20 AM
to clarify what the others have said.

Clarify ???  More like, expand, or add to.
Keep Calm and Carry On