How do you hook up a turnout and a signal to a DCC controller?

Started by jbko6, November 13, 2015, 12:05:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbko6

I don't know how to hook up a turn and a signal to a DCC controller. Please respond!  ???

Hunt

To use a DCC controller a turnout and signal has to be equipped with a DCC decoder and the decoder connected to the track rails for power and DCC signal.

A Bachmann E-Z Track Remote Turnout is connected to the AC accessory terminals of DC model railroad power pack.

Click Here for the Bachmann Remote Turnout instructions. Read all the instructions do not depend on just the illustrations.

In place of a DC model railroad power pack  you can use a wall wart transformer rated 12 to 16 volts output at 500 milliamps (mA) up to 1 amp.  Either AC or DC output wall wart transformer can be used. 

jward

assuming you want to use the signal to indicate which way the switch is thrown, you would want to use an atlas snap relay wired in parallel with the switch motor. instructions on how to do this are included with the snap relay.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

electrical whiz kid

slightly off the [point, does any of the older modellers happen to remember how to hook up the turnout coils on an Atlas turnout, using a standard toggle, a capacitor and a dry-cell.  I went to explain this one day, and found I had forgotten; that was a bit embarrassing...
Using this setup allows the turnout to move slowly-and also serves somewhat as a ballast, protecting the coil from burning out.  I just have a mental block (senior-itis).

Rich C.