Spectrum 4-4-0 dcc with sound programming problems

Started by EBT17, November 12, 2015, 10:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBT17

How do I do a factory reset on this loco? I bought it about a year ago and have tried programming it numerous times with no luck. It ran one time, and since then, it has been a major frustation. I'm soon ready to pitch this thing in the garbage and go back to dc. Dcc has NOT been a user friendly experience.  >:(

bapguy

What DCC system do you have? If you can program CV's then CV8=8. Turn off power to track for 20 seconds or so. Turn power back on. If the reset  took, headlight will flash 16 times.  Joe

EBT17

Prodigy express is what I have.  I deleted the loco address and put it on the program track. Then I called up the factory default address which is 3 and put 08 in cv08. I then put on the running track and all I get is some random sound and if I throttle up, the loco starts to chuff, but doesn't move. The other sound and light functions don't work neither.

Trainman203

DCC gets easier as you go.  Stick with it, the results are worth it.

You "could" have a bad decoder but try the reset first.  There's another reset cv also, look in the user's guide, it's 29 or 30, right around in there.

bapguy

EBT17

I recalled the address,  and then held down the delete button per the instructions in my booklet. Now I reassigned the add again and the sound works, but I still have no headlight, and the loco won't move.

bapguy

Deleting the address that way deletes the address from the DCC system. It doesn't change the address of the decoder. Try the reset using programing on the main.  You may have to take all locos off the track except the one you want to program. Soundtraxx decoders can be hard to program addresses on.  If I recall, you have to change from a 2 digit address to a 4 digit address then back to a 2 digit address  or 4 digit to a 2 digit then 4 digit. You can't go from one 2 digit address to a different 2 digit address, or a 4 digit address to a different 4 digit address.  My friend has an MRC system and I usually get called to bring mine over(Digitrax DB150) to change the addresses on his locos.  Joe 

EBT17

Thank you for the information,  Joe. I will try this tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes. Now for a little sarcasm. I'm glad the manufacturers are keeping things simple so newcomers to dcc don't get discouraged.

WoundedBear

I use the MRC Prodigy Advanced Squared unit.

I couldn't do a bloody thing with the Spectrum/Soundtraxx decoders until I added a Programming Track Booster into my Programming Track circuit. Have had no issues since. I used the Soundtraxx PTB-100 Booster.

Sid

Hunt

Do have MRC Prodigy Express or the MRC Prodigy Express2 ?

To run the locomotive you must select/acquire the locomotive.
  To select a loco, press the LOCO key.
   Using the numeric keypad (0 - 9), enter 3 the address that was set when you reset the decoder.
  Press ENTER. You have just selected/acquired the loco.

Once the locomotive has been selected/acquired pressing  Function Key 0 (F0) will turn headlight on and off

EBT17

Thank you to everyone for your help. We're up and running like a champ. I found a loose plug, which is why I was getting sound, but no movement or headlight.

Hunt

Quote from: EBT17 on November 13, 2015, 12:30:21 PM
Thank you to everyone for your help. We're up and running like a champ. I found a loose plug, which is why I was getting sound, but no movement or headlight.

Thanks for the feedback.