Bachman Spectrum F40PH Lights and Directions reversed

Started by jwpaton, November 14, 2015, 12:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwpaton

I recently acquired a Bachmann Spectrum F40PH. When it runs forward, the back lights are on and when it runs backward, the front lights are on. My other engines' lights work correctly. Is there any way to fix this? Thank you for any advice.

jbrock27

"Aquired" from Ebay or a show perhaps?  How are you with wiring?  Sounds like wiring for the directional lighting is reversed.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jwpaton

I was thinking something was crossed.  I took the top off and can't figure out what I am looking at.  I don't see any wires, it looks like a circuit board almost.

jbrock27

Indeed, appropriately called a "light board".  There should be wires going to it somehow, from somewhere.  Look close.

Was I correct on where you acquired it from?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

I know what the heading of this attachment says, but open and scroll to the bottom, you will see a series of attachments (paper clips) to open pics up.  Take a look see:

http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=39919
Keep Calm and Carry On

jwpaton

You were correct on where I acquired it.  I looked at the pictures and my light board is not attached the same way.  There are not wires connected to it, just two metal tabs that make contact with the body when the engine is put together.

jward

is it possible to remove the circuit board, turn it 180 degrees then reinstall it?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jwpaton

I don't think so, the strobe lights on top are wired to it and if I turned it they would be at the wrong end.  I tried to post a picture but couldn't.

jwpaton

I ran the train without the top on, the power pack was in forward for all my other trains but when I ran this engine, it went in reverse.  The lights work correctly with the direction the power pack is in, when it is in forward, the front lights come on but the train drives in reverse.  Now I am even more confused.

jbrock27

Like I had suspected and said, there is a wiring issue here.  This is why I asked where you got this, the point of the question being, you don't know the history of this thing, hence why it is doing what it is doing, someone before you fiddled with it.

Can you solder?

For posting pics, use the Search feature here for instructions on how to use Photo Bucket.  I don't use it, other wise I would hand the directions to you.

Re: the light board not looking like any of the pictures previously provided to you to look at-do the LEDs (the lights) look like they are similar in the way they are attached to the light board?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jwpaton

I figured someone before me had messed with it.  I took apart the entire engine.  After looking at the parts diagram from Bachmann, the motor was installed upside down.  I put it in correctly and now it is functioning normal.  Thanks for you help!

jbrock27

You are welcome.  Glad to help.  There you go, good job!.  Made perfect sense as we got to more details.  Have fun!
Keep Calm and Carry On