News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Soundtraxx factory sound onboard--RS-3

Started by stj_lc, November 02, 2015, 02:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stj_lc

Problem--Although all the sound and light functions work fine, the motor only works intermittently and unpredictably.
The connections on the board are all tight and the motor connections seem tight. When it does run any change in direction or CV will shut the motor down.
I have tried resets from CV 8 and 30 and consist is off.
Thanks for any suggestions
Dan

bapguy

What DCC system are you using? Do you have more than 1 throttle? If yes make sure the loco is not on both throttles. I solder the wires to the board as the plastic clips don't always make a good connection.. It could be dirty track or the wheels. With an OHM meter, check for continuity between both wheels on both sides of both trucks as well as from the wheels to the board.  If you have some isopropyl alcohol, put some on the rails put the loco on the rails where the alcohol is, hold the engine in place and turn up the throttle full speed. While holding the loco, move it back and forth a few times. Sometimes this will clean the wheels a bit.  Joe

brokenrail

I had the same symptoms with my Bachmann DCC SD40-2 and found one of the wires to the motor was hanging on the solder joint by a thread. Found by accident of course having the shell off run testing it .Then it stopped and  then I wiggled the wires a little with a tooth pic here and there and when I hit the bad one it made a connection and moved the loco a little. I replaced the frayed wire and soldered it in to the motor and board.Seems the wire was to thin with one strand to handle the current.Not a problem since.
Johnny Adam

jbrock27

Speaking of cleaning loco wheels, one of the best ways that I have found is to spray either WD-40 or PB Blaster on a paper towel, lay it across the tracks, put half the loco's wheels on the paper towel and the other half on the powered rails.  Hold the loco while turning up the power on the throttle, letting one set of wheels spin and clean themselves on the towel and then do the other set of wheels the same way.
Keep Calm and Carry On

stj_lc

I am using an MRC Prodigy Advance with three throttles. Thanks for the tips--I will check them out.
(Even when the unit accepts a four digit ID it does not move)
Dan

brokenrail

Hello, Please check your motor wiring first .When doing any type of testing it is essential that each step of checking is not ignored the wording you stated is that the wiring Seems tight means unsure.Sometimes wires break also inside there insulation covering where it cannot be seen.This is where a little pull test of the wire will find it when it seems secure or should be before this is done.Looks can be deceiving when it comes to electrical.Have you ran it on DC? If a loco does not run well on dc ,it will never run well on dcc.
Johnny Adam

Hunt

Remove locomotive shell. Locate, pull off and reseat one at a time the black plastic clip holding in place each of the two wires connecting the motor to the circuit board. Be sure the bare end of the wire is in good contact with the solder pad on the circuit board before replacing the clip. Best to solder the wire to the solder pad than using the plastic clips.

Test run before replacing the shell.

Also, clean the back of all six wheels and check the electrical pickups contact to the back of each wheel.  The pickups may need to be adjusted. After clean wheels, place one drop of Conductive Contact Lube on each wheel tread and back of wheels.

Hunt

Correction
. . . clean the back of all six eight wheels and check . . .