News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 Village Streetcar struggling

Started by rhythm, November 24, 2015, 04:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhythm

Hello,

I've had my On30 Village Streetcar for 7-8 years now, and it's having a hard time moving along.  When placed on the track, it won't move on its own (and the light does not illuminate either).  If I nudge it a bit, the light will flicker and the car will move a tiny bit.  When I nudge it, it's really more of a 'sideways' movement, as there is a little bit of play from side to side as the car sits on the track.  Sometimes it moves a little further than other times, but it's never very long.  The problem has worsened over the last few years, and now it's to the point where it's futile to bother with it.

So far, here's what I've checked out:  The track does have 7.5 volts from rail to rail.  The other night I took the trolley apart and clipped some wires to the track, and when holding the 'chassis' of the trolley and touching the wires to the contacts on either side of the motor, the motor seems to spin just fine, and the wheels move as well.  The little contact clips that touch the tops of the wheels seemed like they have a little more 'give' in them than they probably did when there were brand new, so I gently bent a couple of them downward a bit towards the wheels.  This didn't change anything when attempting to run the trolley again on the track.  I get continuity when measuring between the front and rear wheels on each side.  Lastly, when putting the 'chassis' back on the track with wheels intact, I started doing the 'nudging' thing again with the same results.  However, I noticed that if I very gently rest a finger on top of one end of the chassis housing, it will move pretty well continuously until it reaches a track endpoint.  Almost seems like the wheels need just a tiny bit of external pressure on them to get the needed electrical continuity.  But I think the little contacts on top of the wheels are making contact without any help, and I've kept the track and wheels pretty clean, using isopropyl alcohol and q-tips.  Also, the little white plastic gears seems to be in good shape.

What should I check out next?

Thank you,
Greg

Len

Have you cleaned the track and wheel treads? Dirt buildup can cause the problem you're describing.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

rhythm

Yep, I've cleaned the track and wheels.  Based on what I'm experiencing, a dirty track seems a likely cause.  But I did clean it.  In my post I mentioned that I used isopropyl alcohol and Q-tips, but I'm wondering if that is enough.  Should I try and do something a little more aggressive to clean the rails?

Greg

Len

A "Brite-Boy" block might be worth a try. Or one of those sponges with blue (not green) "Scotch Brite" on one side. Use it dry.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

etwiggar

Could it be the pick-up shoes not making good contact with the wheels?  Maybe take it apart and clean the contacts on the streetcar itself.

the Bach-man

Dear All,
The reverse is actuated when the wheels span a gap in the rail.  Make sure the gaps are clear.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

rhythm

I'm not sure I understand the last comment...

Greg

rhythm

etwiggar, are you talking about the little brass contacts that the wheels rub against?  Those seemed to be making contact OK and appeared clean, but it wouldn't hurt to clean them anyway since I've never done it.  I'll give that a try.

Thanks,
Greg